Alternative to Hive

JohnBishop

Hi All,

I wanted your opinion re Hive system. I know there is Nest that is also popular but I don't want that.
Hive thermostat and a Hive receiver seems fine but when it comes to Hive hub I am not so sure.
Do you know of any viable alternatives that are more open standard?
I am worried that the dependency on some proprietary cloud renders devices unsupported after some years and this is usually less than 5 years.
Rather than cloud I would prefer a web based system that is exposed to the Internet in case I want to control the heating from any device.

Please advise.

Internet connected smart thermostats (there isn’t anything smart in a hive, it’s and on/off stat) all require cloud functionality to operate.

Thats because they communicate over port 80 which is always open, and it doesn’t require any ddns setup to tunnel back directly to your house.

The best option is to chuck it all in the bin, move to boiler/hp manufacturers modulating controls, and set/forget the temperature.

• Thanks 1

I used a Drayton Wiser system, which uses zigbee to talk to the TRVs and works without internet access unless you want to control the system remotely. Some clever people have worked out how to get at the data on your local network so you can bypass their app completely if you want to.

However I'm going HughFs route and using the ASHP makers weather compensated controller with no independent room control. We'll see how well that works!

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2023 at 20:58, JohnBishop said:

I am worried that the dependency on some proprietary cloud renders devices unsupported after some years and this is usually less than 5 years.

This is, for me, the nub of the problem - so I won't have any device in our system that requires any proprietary cloud service. Even if support remains to many of these devices they become subscription services. You then get tied into their eco system which is another technology win for them that is a loss for you. Also you have no control over the data you are giving them as there is no 'tick' box anywhere that says I reject any onward use of the data, information, knowledge or wisdom that you are seeing as a result of my subscribing.  I appreciate that with free services the business model is we can use the data in exchange for providing the service but once it becomes subscribed that should stop or at least you should have the option - by default. Its a Klondike out there and I would suggest being very wary of buying a stake - grub or otherwise! 

• Thanks 1

Reference HIVE we bought the camera system to keep an eye on Dad in his last few months. BG are switching the service off, at least the camera side in 2025. Bloody disgusting tbh. Not cheap kit to buy and soon to be landfill I guess.

• Thanks 1

Salus do some nice thermostats (quantum), you need their ZigBee gateways also.

But most equipment tied in to the internet has a short life, I try to avoid, especially with heating and ventilation.

Edited by JohnMo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Reference HIVE we bought the camera system to keep an eye on Dad in his last few months. BG are switching the service off, at least the camera side in 2025. Bloody disgusting tbh. Not cheap kit to buy and soon to be landfill I guess.

My sister wanted to set up something similar at my Mother's house.

Mother said 'No', well she did after about an hour of stumbling over her words.

It is hopeless to decide as the services can be withdrawn at any time.

26 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It is hopeless to decide as the services can be withdrawn at any time.

QED see my point above. Why not go another way, install a £10 device like this one

https://kunkune.co.uk/shop/esp32-esp8266/esp32-cam-dev-board-ov2640-camera-2-4g-antenna/

image.png.0bd12ad8f0cfcb6a7155053a93c302ad.png

and then tunnel it out of your router so you can watch it anywhere - audio options are myriad.

PS To make this approach secure you will probably want to use a reverse proxy (Nginx is available on RPi for instance) and DDNS to keep track of your IP address unless you have a fixed IP address in your package.

Edited by MikeSharp01
Added securing cheap cameras