wrong paslode nails used ...

jpadie

I've just realised I have used interior grade paslode nails on the subfloor and one wall of a timber framed garden room.  the wall frame will be clad with osb and the osb will also skirt the sub-floor.  Is this sufficient or should I double nail with galvplus nails as well?  wood putty over the nail holes?  

unfortunately it's not credible to start again! 

5 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

To save worrying about it down the line, go with another set of nails of the correct variety then you can forget about it

thanks for the response! 

i can double nail all the joist ends that are still exposed but the wall frames (for example) are obviously not nailable into the sole plate (except by toe-nailing.  and the sub-floor is in four sections and joined together.  so one side of the joists are not accessible.

screwfix website says these nails are galvanised and "won't rot or deteriorate".    Paslode website makes no mention of that! 

how serious is this (yes of course I will go forward with the right type of nails and will renail where I can). 

Unless these are in direct rain etc you really don’t need to worry. 
Bright nails would be the worst to have used, but that’s more because they’re not ring-shank (so they don’t grip the wood very well) vs whether they would rot out. 
FWIW, I used regular light galv 51’s on my feather edge and no signs of trouble to date, and they’re completely exposed to all elements. 
Do you have a pic of the nails used? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Unless these are in direct rain etc you really don’t need to worry. 
Bright nails would be the worst to have used, but that’s more because they’re not ring-shank (so they don’t grip the wood very well) vs whether they would rot out. 
FWIW, I used regular light galv 51’s on my feather edge and no signs of trouble to date, and they’re completely exposed to all elements. 
Do you have a pic of the nails used? 

they are the bright nails ... 20230924_112224.thumb.jpg.c1aa5b4fe72384af4f46a27fa0aca9c2.jpg

20230924_112208.jpg

Defo have 90’s in RS, but the ones you show are also glue coated (the blue) which heats up and cures from the heat from the friction of firing the nail in. Try smacking a misfired nail in and you’ll see how well (and quickly) the glue holds!

Stand down red alert, and just pop some extra 90’s in if you want to. I doubt you’ll have a moments trouble here tbf, even if simply left alone. 

18 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Defo have 90’s in RS, but the ones you show are also glue coated (the blue) which heats up and cures from the heat from the friction of firing the nail in. Try smacking a misfired nail in and you’ll see how well (and quickly) the glue holds!

Stand down red alert, and just pop some extra 90’s in if you want to. I doubt you’ll have a moments trouble here tbf, even if simply left alone. 

huge thanks for the reassurance!  none of the nails are directly exposed to the environment and are protected from water ingress from above so fingers-crossed!  

off to do the rest of the wall frames now, and the roof.  after a quick trip to paris in a clapped out skoda fabia to help my eldest move flat.  again.  

• Haha 1