How to improve the look of this dodgy workmanship

Monz87

Hi guys,

I have a kitchen which used to be a garage and the wall that has been put up looks like a cowboy who hated the job has done it. I just want to make it look presentable and more aesthetically pleasing. As you can see on the photos there is mortar everywhere which could technically be cleaned off but some bricks look like the mortar is filling chips to the corners of the bricks.

My intention was to use a wire brush and scrape the thicker bits off and then use brick acid to take the remainder and existing thin layers off, then to use a colour matched brick filler to fill some spots in. I've realised that it is not so easily done as it is hard work as the mortar doesn't come off that easy and I end up rubbing the bricks making them whitish washed out colour which I also do not want. I don't think a regular household pressure washer would do the job either.

I am relatively competent and somewhat of a handy man, so I would be grateful if I could get some advise how to get excess mortar off the bricks and make it look presentable without having to be a professional brick restoration expert. I would pay someone to do it as well if the price is reasonable, the property is in Barking IG11.

PHOTO-2023-08-24-12-33-15 1.jpg

PHOTO-2023-08-24-12-33-15.jpg

PHOTO-2023-08-24-12-33-16.jpg

PHOTO-2023-08-24-12-33-17 1.jpg

PHOTO-2023-08-24-12-33-17.jpg

That’s been done by a DIYer,I’d say,the small cut up the left hand side reveal is a big no-no to a proper bricklayer. They’ve re-used the bricks from somewhere else too-you can see a mastic or paint line on some of the half bricks on the right. I would apply brick acid with a paint brush so you keep it off the mortar joints and wash off with the hose. Looks like it will need a good few times to see any improvement though. 

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

This sort of job would be a labour of love. Personally I would do what @Conor says and make it a feature rather than trying to correct it.

I assume you purchased the property after the garage conversion so you did not notice when buying? 

Don't wanna go into it but all I will say is a cowboy builder hiring a cowboy bricklayer and an unfortunate phase of being very unwell. 😔

17 hours ago, Brickie said:

That’s been done by a DIYer,I’d say,the small cut up the left hand side reveal is a big no-no to a proper bricklayer. They’ve re-used the bricks from somewhere else too-you can see a mastic or paint line on some of the half bricks on the right. I would apply brick acid with a paint brush so you keep it off the mortar joints and wash off with the hose. Looks like it will need a good few times to see any improvement though. 

Yes these bricks were from some existing walls that was taken down. I'm under the assumption that brick acid only works with a fine layer of mortar? Or can it soften thicker layers too, albeit with multiple applications?

On 16/09/2023 at 20:01, Conor said:

I'd put a trellas up at the join and plant something, climbing rose or even ivy. You'll soon forget about the rest.

Whilst I do love greenery, I'm not too keen as it is a modern town house and all the houses on the the street are 2000's built. Think it will look weird.

On 16/09/2023 at 18:48, joe90 said:

Be careful you don’t damage the brick facing, I know a wire brush on an angle grinder can “burn” the bricks, I would suggest a small centre punch and hammer to gently prize of lumps then brick acid.

That sounds like something I could do, do you mean a punch like those you use for deepening nails into a skirting? What about something like a scraper, not the thin ones for applying filler, rather I think I have one of those concrete removal ones you attach to a sds type tool. Its flat and about 2/3 inches wide.