Fools and their money

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

his 'interior design company' is really just his ideas of how to decorate others homes.

is that not the definition of an "interior designer"  

it was the "The real selling point, though, was the large terrace leading off the kitchen, overlooking the tree-filled gardens of surrounding houses."

that got me, 

some people have got a very strange idea of a "nice view" :D

then again each to their own, im sure if they wait until the area becomes "trendy" they will turn a tidy profit 

Work in PR you say? Friends at the Standard?

Well puff pieces about your fledgling hobby job are certainly cheaper than paying for adverts.

Would be interesting to know what genuine design experience he has(n't) got.

Designer?

Some of the rooms looks like the waiting Area in a 1970's Mental Hospital (not from experience)

and that lounge is pretentious and Uber-Drab-Olo (yes I have made that up so I can sound WITH IT TOO)

I mean anyone can pour dulux once over lining paper, cast iron fireplace et al !

and look at all those books ..I BET the spine has never been cracked on any of them ...

3rd century pottery of the Phoenicians 7th editon !?! ....As Jim Royle would say "me ar*e"

I mean these guys have lost the concept of value for money ...I couldn't believe what they paid ...I mean

its no wonder they cant afford a new razor blade between them, and one of them appears to be wearing 
a pair of jeans he was bought by his mum when he was 10

I mean this is tragic ...I sense a "JustGiving" page in the making 

:)

Edited by Ed_MK
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Think they fleeced themselves and the heading should be preceded by: "A Cautionary Tale".

I love this:

"Andrew would have liked a poured concrete kitchen floor, but settled for an impressive grey vinyl from The Colour Flooring Company. It was £800 including fitting, or less than a tenth of the cost of concrete"

That 'inexpensive' sheet vinyl is 3.2mm thick concrete grey "commercial quality" (allegedly) and £28 per sqm, plus fitting by the company that supplied it. About £7 per sqm from elsewhere for thicker stuff. Or you could do uniclic tiles. The concrete comparison is mere smoke. Presumably it is also 100x cheaper than gold leaf - which fact is not relevant either.

I would say that much of the £22.5k expense (£6.5k on a couple of mdf custom cupboards aside) is on a desire to have designer items - whch is actually money spent on art objects not the makeover. IMO they have overpaid everything by about 4x or 5x, partly because they do not know better and partly because they insisted on  "icons".

Ercol stacking chair (£500?). Chandelier - would quite like this at £100 (£300). Kitchen bentwood lampshade (£285 - Ikea version about £70, and I thought *that* was OTT). Bathroom floor tiles (£170 per sqm). New legs for the Ikea bed (£100-£150 for 4). Farrow and Ball paint. Farrow and Ball paint !!

Suspect they also overspent by perhaps 50k on the £437k one-bedroom plus terrace flat. Plenty 2 bed or 1 bed + garden flats available for £350k to £450k in Stroud Green.

People with too much money in too much of a rush.

To give them one due, at least they can take most of it with them to the next place.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand