Demolition of single storey extension and concrete floor removal?

flanagaj

We are having an extension done, but the property already has a 1970s single storey extension attached to the house, which is in poor condition.   I am thinking that rather than trying to salvage anything from the existing extension, it would be better to demolish it and break up the concrete floor.   Questions I have

1)  Can you do this yourself and apart from a stone saw, would you need any heavy machinery, or would it take an age and someone with a jcb could do it in a day?
2)  What is the best way to get rid of the waste.   Would you get a concrete crusher in to crush the bricks / concrete for use as hardcore in the proposed extension?

3)  Do you need to notify the council or could this be part of the planning application for the house extension?

The extension is shown below.

image.png.6a87220d24a0d67dd51eca682fd2b395.png

image.png.4cca4227b7a7ac0f6b6a348f4cfeba04.png

Yes, I'd remove the slab as you'll want to get a good bit of floor insualtion in to the new extension.

For removal, two options. Do it now, yourself with a mini digger with pecker, and a large skip. It'll likely only be 100mm or so thick.

Option two, just leave it for the builder who is doing the extension to worry about. They'll need to do their own digging etc.

Yes,.you need building control involved. If you intend on using the existing footings, you'll need to show them that they are suitable.

• Like 1

So I have just had a look at a 3 tonne machine with a pecker and also a 1 tonne dumper and seems I can hire that for < £500 for three days.  I was then thinking of simply dumping it in the front driveway and get it collected with a grab truck.

Maybe three days to demolish a single storey extension and a garage is way too long, and you could do it in a day?

I understand that the most cost effective way of disposing of rubble is with via a local farmer, but how much can you expect to pay for a full grab lorry load? 

11 hours ago, flanagaj said:

most cost effective way of disposing of rubble is with via a local farmer

Ah yes. Dumped in a stream bed including wood and  plasterboard,  for cash,  for the next generation to deal with. You are correct that this is common.

A proper waste company can supply a big skip for clean brick and concrete thar will go for crushing and be used as hardcore.  Mix in wood and felt though and the cost will rise.

I advise use of a good  breaker. Jcb or Stanley.  These are powerful and efficient. First form a line of holes parallel to the house to reduce risk.

image.thumb.png.17ba26fca609d332429c6fce6de9800e.png

• Like 1