Copper versus Stainless Steel Cylinders

Triassic

With all this talk of cylinders, I thought this piece of research would interest some of you.

The research project’s aim was to provide a definitive answer to how effective a copper coil type heat exchanger was, in comparison to that of a stainless steel coil.

The results of the report found that using a copper hot water cylinder on an exact like for like specification reduced the heat up time of the water by 28.8% over stainless steel.

https://www.mcdonald-engineers.com/sites/mcdonald/files/copper_v_stainless_research_report_-_small.pdf

• Like 1

The main part of McDonalds business is Copper...  I've been round their factory in Glenrothes, a very slick operation, and found them very helpful to deal with.

They also make stainless steel cylinders, although that's a much smaller part of their operation.

That's bedtime reading at 51 pages long, plus most of my books are mostly pictures :D

Staimless UVC's from Telford also have a lifetime warranty :) , with the TS's having a 10 year. Not sure why the TS's are less, probably to do with the fact they're usually full of grotty system water or brine. 

58 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

That's bedtime reading at 51 pages long, plus most of my books are mostly pictures :D

Staimless UVC's from Telford also have a lifetime warranty :) , with the TS's having a 10 year. Not sure why the TS's are less, probably to do with the fact they're usually full of grotty system water or brine. 

I'm with you on picture books Nick, do you have one I could borrow on UVC installations ? .

It's an interesting document, and for a couple of reasons. AFAIK UOU Jordanstown has their own energy research centre so it makes me think that the report is more Copper Industries than theirs.

Yet CI don't seem to have it on their website and their opposition- McDonalds- do?