Acceptable evidence for EPC

Lemna gibba

I'm not sure this is the best forum section for this question, but I couldn't find a better one.

I realise that there are many problems with EPC, but I have a straightforward question. We've started building (only digging the footings at the moment). Our house will be better insulated than the current standard. We don't need an EPC at the moment, but I'm sure at some stage we will. I want to make sure I collect enough evidence of the environmental measures that we install.

I can see this information online. 

• Acceptable documentary evidence includes, but is not limited to, official letters, certificates, warranties, guarantees. The assessor must be confident, and able to demonstrate, that any documentation relates to the actual property being assessed and that there is no physical evidence to the contrary. Evidence of intent to install does not qualify as acceptable documentary evidence.

What does this actually mean in practice?  For example, if we install 150 mm of Celotex in the floor.  I could keep the uValue calcs from the Celotex product. I could photograph the product going in.  I could ask the builder to save the delivery document.  I'm very happy with our builder so far on building, but I would say that paperwork isn't his strong point. Would it be appropriate to ask the BC to sign a document at the end confirming that X, Y and Z insulation has been used?  Any advice here would be great. I'd rather collect too much evidence than too little.

Get a new build SAP assessor on board asap. A sap calculation should be done at the design stage to show the proposed dwelling complies with the regs. This is updated on completion to reflect the ‘as built’ house and to generate an EPC that is required as part of BC sign off. The Regs now also require a lot of photo evidence of the insulation and its installation. Your sap assessor will advise further. Without this evidence the assessor will use default values with the risk the completed house fails the Regs.

• Like 1

I haven’t started my build yet so can only pass on information learned so far from the future homes website it would be a good starting point. 

https://www.futurehomes.org.uk/library#Reports

https://irp.cdn-website.com/bdbb2d99/files/uploaded/Photos Report Masonry.pdf

I don’t think the report is something we can do ourselves so at some point you will need to choose who is doing your as built EPC.  I think this is something best looked at sooner rather than later as the photos are important. 

We have just marketed our first build 

9 couples round in two days 

Not one has asked about sap EPC airtightness 

Main questions 

1 school catchment area 

2 where was the kitchen made 

3 why are we selling 

4 Are we open to offers 

I brought up the high levels of insulation to the first three ALL politely smiled 

My wife has just added a fifth 

Three ladies were interested to know all about the induction hob and Quooker tap 

I think there is only Is lot on here that are interested or remotely understand Airtightness 

Edited by nod

6 hours ago, nod said:

I think there is only Is lot on here that are interested or remotely understand Airtightness 

Sad isn't it.

I was chatting to the guy that owns the house next door 2 days ago (he rents it out).

Delivery van turns up, spent 5 minutes doing a delivery and a pick-up.  All that time the engine was ticking over.

Hard to believe that diesel is £1.52/litre.

12 hours ago, Lemna gibba said:

I'm not sure this is the best forum section for this question, but I couldn't find a better one.

I realise that there are many problems with EPC, but I have a straightforward question. We've started building (only digging the footings at the moment). Our house will be better insulated than the current standard. We don't need an EPC at the moment, but I'm sure at some stage we will. I want to make sure I collect enough evidence of the environmental measures that we install.

I can see this information online. 

• Acceptable documentary evidence includes, but is not limited to, official letters, certificates, warranties, guarantees. The assessor must be confident, and able to demonstrate, that any documentation relates to the actual property being assessed and that there is no physical evidence to the contrary. Evidence of intent to install does not qualify as acceptable documentary evidence.

What does this actually mean in practice?  For example, if we install 150 mm of Celotex in the floor.  I could keep the uValue calcs from the Celotex product. I could photograph the product going in.  I could ask the builder to save the delivery document.  I'm very happy with our builder so far on building, but I would say that paperwork isn't his strong point. Would it be appropriate to ask the BC to sign a document at the end confirming that X, Y and Z insulation has been used?  Any advice here would be great. I'd rather collect too much evidence than too little.

you will need an EPC if you want a completion cert to be able to actually live in the house. At least in England anyway.

In Scotland you need an as-designed EPC and sap report to get a warrant - to allow you to start building. Then an as-built to get a completion certificate.

Get an as designed, EPC now, make sure nothing is basically wrong with the design, before it's too late or very expensive to change.

Take plenty of photos with a tape measure against things if required to show depth etc.

Dear all, thank you for your comments. I'm sorry, I wasn't clearer. This is a renovation project not a new build. Furthermore, it is a multi year renovation project.  We did get an as built EPC for the renovations we intend to make over the long haul, but won't do a final EPC until the very end. At the moment we're building a single story rear extension and replacing our existing kitchen floor with a well insulated slab.   The linked pdf document is very informative. Things like documenting the insulation at the door threshold is not something that I might otherwise have done, but will now.

On 27/08/2023 at 00:22, nod said:

They'll move in, disconnect the MVHR and then wonder why they're getting headaches from the lack of Oxygen, right? 

Need to teach this stuff at school.

4 hours ago, larry said:

They'll move in, disconnect the MVHR and then wonder why they're getting headaches from the lack of Oxygen, right? 

Need to teach this stuff at school.

or open a window 😁

• Haha 1