Recommissioning/Certification of Solar Install

James SHS

We have a client that has asked us to look at a solar install that they had last year, the company installing has gone out of business and the client does not have any paper work.

Mainly they require some paper work to say that the systems installed are safe, in case they get a visit from the Governing body of their industry.

What would be the best way to get these recommissioned? Electrical Installer? Solar Installer? 

Would an EICR be of any help? 

Or would a solar installer recommission the system and issue a commissioning Cert.

Client realizes this will not be an MCS cert but they need something.

Many Thanks

18 minutes ago, James SHS said:

in case they get a visit from the Governing body of their industry.

And who do you think this governing body that is going to go snooping is?

Assuming the panels are on the roof or elsewhere it is probably only an electrician.  Start with an EICR limited in scope if you want just to the solar PV.

Commercial or domestic client?

• 1 month later...

In my experience MCS are pretty useless at helping apart from giving you a directory of local PV installers.

Some of the smaller more boutique PV installers will do a site assessment for a couple of hundred £ and at least give the home owner a safety peace of mind. They will probably come back with recommendations re DC surge protection etc, but much like all electrical systems installed 5+ years ago there will always be 'new' recommendations.

You'll not go far wrong in following Octopus's trial process for accepting non MCS systems onto there export tariffs. They are asking for proof that the roof can take the load by way of building control sign off, and an electrical installation test cert.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dillsue said:

You'll not go far wrong in following Octopus's trial process for accepting non MCS systems onto there export tariffs. They are asking for proof that the roof can take the load by way of building control sign off, and an electrical installation test cert.

is this documented anywhere.  Its common knowledge that they have 'dropped' the MCS requirement, what seems more obscure is what they require instead.

41 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Yep, in the email they sent me and anyone else who had registered an interest in non MCS export.

Noticed they have also added a statement about charging you £250 to review your system and it's suitability. It is not fundable.

I did have my name down, but don't think I will not bother. Out of the 200kWh generated since my battery install, I have only exported 3.4kWh. Would take a lifetime to get my £250 back.

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Noticed they have also added a statement about charging you £250 to review your system and it's suitability. It is not fundable.

I did have my name down, but don't think I will not bother. Out of the 200kWh generated since my battery install, I have only exported 3.4kWh. Would take a lifetime to get my £250 back.

Yep it's a lot of hoops to jump through with a fair price tag compared to what you're gonna get back. BC sign off, elec cert, £250 fee probably not short of a grand to get on their export rate of 15p/unit.

29 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Yep it's a lot of hoops to jump through with a fair price tag compared to what you're gonna get back. BC sign off, elec cert, £250 fee probably not short of a grand to get on their export rate of 15p/unit.

I think some pressure being exerted from external to octopus. MCS will not disappear without a big fight. To many folk been royally... Plus installers been forced to go through hoops for months and spend big to certified.

Good advertising from octopus bet they got a few people to transfer across to them, on the off chance they get something for nothing.

My prediction

A few will pay to get on the trial, the trial will last 6 months, they will spend 12 months in an evaluation period, everyone will move on with their lives and it will all go silent.

Spend the money on more solar or add towards a battery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 08:05, Dillsue said:

I have had PV from two different installers (2011 and 2022), and both have issued MCS certificates without any proper investigation of the roof loading issue though one did ask me for pictures of the inside of the roof as part of their virtual survey. But without a ruler in the pic they have no real idea of the scantlings. I don't think the previous owners gave me any paperwork from the re-roofing in 1995, and it's doubtful if BC would still have any records as it is now a joint enterprise with two other RDCs.

I'm guessing from what I've read that most installations are similar, in which case Octopus are asking far more from non-MCS customers than they would get with an MCS cert.

My second installer was adamant that I did not need a certificate at all as the panels are connected to the DC side so I withheld £500 which caused them to sharpen their pencils in a hurry. Apparently the MCS database needs an AC meter type and serial number so they used a random one out of their stores. Glad now I persisted as intend to export to Octopus.

Edited by sharpener

57 minutes ago, sharpener said:

I'm guessing from what I've read that most installations are similar, in which case Octopus are asking far more from non-MCS customers than they would get with an MCS cert.

I suspect Octopus are asking for what an MCS installer is supposed to do rather than what they actually do. In asking for BC sign off youre unlikely to get away with what MCS installers get away with- our roof was never surveyed for our MCS FIT installation.