Finding PV suppliers with skill, availability and stock? (... AND not outrageous prices?)

puntloos

Just been looking as the GSE installation instructions. There needs to be some more real world video's showing the installation and as importantly the roof tiles being fitted. I have seen quite a few pics etc, where the tiling looks like a dogs dinner. Bit like the tiling around some roof windows.

6 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Don't tiles always look a dog's dinner anyways specially when cutting around something. That's why I like slate, they are thinner and the cut edge is clean.

Also as a side concern I understand that concrete tiiles are 'sealed' and if you cut them you expose them to the elements.. is there some way to properly re-seal them?

6 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I bought my GSE trays from ITS, they were £25 each. I would double check your quantity of the sundry bits from GSE. £98 for each panel doesn't sound right.

Here is my list of bits for 10 panels

When was this quote/invoice done? 

55 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

so what does your £98/ panel include for GSE?

Kit includes:

Mid Clamp BLACK H16
GSE Clamp Wedges Twin Pack ( 2x Left / 2x Right )
GSE Flashing Hook
GSE Joint EDPM Pre Drilled
Self-Tapping Screw + GSE Washer (Pack of 100)
Pre-compressed seal roll (5.5m)
Lateral Flashing - UNIVERSAL - 1290MM – BLACK NEW DPO GSE Rooflex Flexible Sealing Strip 330mm x 5m
GSE Portrait Frame

Well that's not correct.

You don't need 100 screws, 5.5m of foam strip or 5m of Rooflex for *each* panel

But will you not need side flashings, regardless of using the Rooflex for top and bottom (if that's what you're doing)? We went with the proper top and side trims and Rooflex at the bottom...

43 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Well that's not correct.

You don't need 100 screws, 5.5m of foam strip or 5m of Rooflex for *each* panel

But will you not need side flashings, regardless of using the Rooflex for top and bottom (if that's what you're doing)? We went with the proper top and side trims and Rooflex at the bottom...

Obviously I only copy/pasted from their own site - https://www.itstechnologies.shop/products/gse-in-roof-mounting-system-portrait - and the guy in question did add 23x this item. I think something screwy. is going on.

I will certainly challenge them on this part, as JohnMo suggested, a more reasonable price per panel seems in the area of 50 quid (2 trays needed @ 22 GBP apparently) and then some screws, tape nuts and bolts. Did you design your system yourself?

Edited by puntloos

10 hours ago, puntloos said:

Did you design your system yourself

Kinda, I used the configurator that was available at the time then I bought mine from Plugin Solar. We had a scheme in mind, but when setting the trays out on the actual roof it became apparent that they were too tight to the valleys to flash and mount correctly and so we re-jigged to put two panels on a different face which then required purchasing a couple more bits of flashing. But the move actually suits us better in honesty as we retain production later into the evening now (but at the expense of peak output).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2023 at 07:32, JohnMo said:

No

Small update on this one - the builder says that because we have flat, interlocking concrete tiles and passivhaus membrane close by, the amount of wind (aka cooling) that can rush through/under the panels is low, hence the ventilation thing. 

Does that make sense or is it still unneeded in this forum's opinion?

Perhaps a drawing may be neededcof your roof buildup? So we all know what the issue is you are trying to get around.

Mine are on directly attached to sarking boards with a membrane above, so zero membrane droop, and then the GSE panels. Been in operation for a couple of years no issues.

IMG_20210303_155056.thumb.jpg.f3b33e7f80bf59a44f143248880600a3.jpg

But if you are having tiles and not slates you will be having battens across the roof anyway, so would have a ventilation anyway below the PV and tiles. The GSE panel and PV will not be changing that. But a drawing needed really.

5 hours ago, puntloos said:

the amount of wind (aka cooling) that can rush through/under the panels is low, hence the ventilation thing. 

If youre not modifying the GSE trays and fitting panels to GSE spec, then why would you need to change the GSE intended ventilation?

On a still summers day there wont be any wind rushing around to cool the panels so you'll just be relying on convection

I suppose (as a non-roof-expert) my only question is where - with a tightly laid roof tile set (forticrete interlocking tiles) - air can go in and out at all. Sure, battens means there are 'voids' below the panels, and I'm sure the GSE design can connect those voids so air can travel anywhere under the roof, but I'm not quite sure where air is let in or out of the roof? Or are the gaps between GSE tray and actual tiles sufficient to let air in and out?

Here's the current roof state

image.thumb.jpeg.ff423b8631dc07e2760a89447d14f6ae.jpeg

And here is the general roof buildup - obviously without the GSE trays listed

image.thumb.png.e4449310b82eacca4ae4789d7ace5f61.png

Edited by puntloos