Newbie with first large self-build

mickeych

After several years of looking, we are in the final stages of buying a large plot with an undeveloped stone barn and outbuildings. The plot comes with planning to rebuild and convert the barn to a 4 bed house with a detached studio.

Both my wife and I grew up in rural settings but moved away for careers and to bring our family up and we are now starting this massive project to develop something that we really want to live in.

I have been stalking the site for a few months now as we work through the basics of buying and selling in a tricky market and finally have a completion date so beginning to feel real. 

We have been underwhelmed with both the original plans and the original architect, although to be fair he did manage to get planning for the conversion even though the plot falls within the curtilage of a listed building, but zero WOW factor in the plans which is shame as the site is gorgeous.

We have found and engaged an amazing structural engineer who has lots of local experience dealing with complex planning negotiations. He is happy to (and has experience of) adapting and creating all new drawing and planning versions and calculations and submit/negotiate with local planners based on the existing plans but including  our own ideas and inspirations.

First big question and I know that it really isn't this straightforward: Should we engage an architect to take the ideas that we have and combine them with the original plans or just move ahead as we are? 

Well firstly congrats - it sounds a lovely site.

My theory is that the architect used to 'get planning' puts in the most conservative thing he or she can think of to obtain the landowner's 'planning valuation bounty' with minimum risk. Then often as not, the buyer needs to do the whole planning loop again with the design they want. However, the first loop has broken the ice with the planners regarding size, style etc, so that's a benefit.

It's curious to have a structural guy who deals with planners - usually building control is their liaison point and they come in after the architect has obtained planning - which is effectively only 'look and feel'. Not to suggest that the structural person doesn't add great value by taking the architect's ideas and making a detailed building design from them. Occasionally (if the architect has been a bit fanciful) that might mean applying a dollop of common or engineering sense which might involve changing the look and feel a bit and thus some negotiation with the planners. e.g. 'it's great that one side of the building is 100% glass, but that won't really fly for these reasons...'

You probably knew that.

Maybe your structural guy is branching out or maybe the existing buildings effectively define the architectural style so much that what's left seems like 'only practical detail'.

Perhaps ask your structural guy and a couple of local architects to take a look at their portfolios - see if there's some work you admire or that fits with the thing you have in mind?

• Like 1

Many thanks for the feedback @Alan Ambrose really helpful. Your thinking on this mirrors my own feelings and understanding.

The structural engineer already has a partnership with a very good local builder and they have previously developed a pair of similar properties in the same area based off the same original planning consent (and architectural plans) which is how I know him.

He developed the original architects plans for his own project and then negotiated those to planning for some fairly substantial changes.

His experience with the planners in addition to and building controls is definitely a big plus and the quality of what he and his builder partner have produced is outstanding so he ticks those boxes too.

Your suggestion that maybe the existing buildings effectively define the architectural style is interesting and is where I come to the question... is there any point in engaging additional architectural input if all that is left is 'only practical detail' 

Happy to take any feedback as we are so new to this!

Well done.

We bought our plot with on line planning, [Access] there was basic plans for the house in the planning, these were actually basic and plain, and were not done by an architect, but by planning consultants.  

Get some ideas from various people / sources.  Trawl through rightmove and take snap shots of things you like and more importantly thing you don't. 

When you've completed speak to the estate agent you bough for ideas, for you to take forward or reject.  

Take a good look at you current house, what do you like ? What do you not?

When you find an architect / designer you will be forearmed, and it can shorted the process.

Welcome

I don't comment on people's house designs, what one person finds nice, others will hate.

Now I have no idea how practical you are, but have you thought of making your own architectural models.

General a knife, divider, sticky tape, glue, paint and some foamboard.

And plasters.

I have gone to a structural engineers with my passed plans in order to get some calcs, and to make sure that what i had planning to build was not going to be a pain, or cost a fortune. Turns out that he is a Chartered Engineer, and an Architectural Technician. He came back to me and said that he thinks my floor plan could be improved. Boy was he right. He has kept my footprint, and made the internal so much better.

Seeking the opinion of other people is difficult. As @SteamyTea said, what One person likes, another might hate. 

It might be worth seeing if you can find an Architectural technician locally who might have some ideas as to how you might sex it up, without costing you a fortune. There is a bod on here @ETC who has made peoples posted plans immeasurably better. He might be willing to take a look at your plans.

• Thanks 1

>>> is there any point in engaging additional architectural input if all that is left is 'only practical detail' 

If you're happy with the plans you have, not much. If you have doubts, or harbour a nagging suspicion that something could be improved you could probably negotiate to pay a few hours work for one or more reviews by anybody that you think has the expertise.

Perhaps something you've seen in a magazine and/or locally that you like - you may be able to track down the architects / interior designers. Not everyone will go for that approach, but some might - as it could lead to a bigger chunk of work. It's fairly painless for them  - they get paid for a few hours to see some plans / talk to some potential new clients / give their thoughts / no commitment or liability either way.