Is this leadwork ok?

JGCov

Hi All,

So we've had a roofer come and do a few jobs for us one of which was to reduce a chimney that was leaning slightly. It was previously capped with a paver and it had an air brick. I was expecting it to be the same but lower down and instead we have this lead work. I would have thought that for the lead to stop water getting in the chimney, it would have to come down all the faces of the chimney, not stop on the top face.

Now, I've already asked for them to come back back as they were supposed to have sorted the tiles in the photo and have cleared the gutters. Before I get my knickers in a twist about the lead work as well, do you think this is going to stop water and animals from getting in that chimney? There's no access from inside the house so I wanted this to be belts and braces and to me it looks like it's we've removed one problem and potentially added another.

WhatsAppImage2023-08-03at11_30_06.thumb.jpeg.5afb87c0b35e8259311653bf9e952ab4.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-08-02at13_19_38.thumb.jpeg.9b3904da44cf75bd58fc0a16afbcd138.jpeg

I can see what they are trying to do and their way of thinking but that’s a shockingly bad bodge job. Yes it looks neat from ground level and yes it’s ventilated but the chimney needs capping properly

No need to apologise for saying it's in a bad state, it's why we hired a roofer. We asked for these tiles to be replaced while we save up for the new roof we know we'll be needing.

But this leadwork, is it likely to let water in to that chimney? Am I being fair to say they need to come back and change it for a paver and air brick as it was before when it was taller?

If that was a "roofer" that did that, then what I would take away from this, is when you get someone to replace the broken tiles, choose a different roofer.  He has failed his trial job in my view.

Yes that shouts bodge, the bricks should be lowered even further and the guttering etc finished properly. Give him the opportunity to do it properly but don’t pay any more whatever you do (and don’t let him back).

• Like 2

Looking at the state of the tiles, they are crumbling. In my view, this roof and especially the tiles are end of life. No fixing is an option. It's strip , evaluate what if anything can be salvaged and re new.