Filling in awkward space

We have an odd void outside our kitchen windows which we’d like to extend into to create a large walk in larder/pantry/prep kitchen/booze vault….

Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to do to use the existing retaining wall as the new wall of the extension? Obv a membrane/drainage system etc. but how do I determine if it’s structurally safe and or conforms to building regs.?

as is it’s about 1.4m x 3.5m

thanks! 

IMG_8667.jpeg

Sounds like an awful lot of work for a small space - assuming you're talking about making part of the structure of the house? Would be difficult to make it dry and warm.

If it were me, I'd build a simple roof over it and have it as an external lean-to store.

Yes it looks cool as it is, best conditions for a pantry. Don’t try to make it part of the house, lots of work insulating, heating etc which will detract from a proper pantry conditions. Can you turn that window into a door, external type, to access your “cool” larder. (I always wanted a cool larder).

Edited by joe90

We definitely want it dry and not damp. Happy to not add any heating and it just take heat from the rest of the house - aga is the other side of the wall. 

Will have a door instead of the bigger window and the small window will be blocked up.

will also be putting another fridge/freezer in there for overflow storage.

thinking roof with a couple of small roof lights and then walls/floor of some sort to connect to existing kitchen. 

any advice on drainage for the retaining wall or if building control will need to sign off on it etc etc…