DPP - time limit to complete?

johnniewalker

DPP has to commence within the time limits stated in the approval document - a council can set this to any value but the shortest I've seen is 1 year (3rd extension of an existing PP) and the longest is 4 years.  

Commencement locks in the permission and at that point it is up to you how long it takes to finish....

Some say a self build is never finished ...!

I suppose planners could impose a planning condition requiring  completion by a date but I've never seen one. It would have to meet the tests in the NPPF. That would probable mean they need to have identified an urgent local need for houses of that type and have a written signed off policy in place.

I am not a lawyer. My understanding is that you need to demonstrate the milestone of, “a material operation comprised in the development begins to be carried out,” per the 1990 Act as amended—specifically §56(2), §56(4)(b)—and by the Planning Officers Society note JDS/061112—specifically §2.4.

In our case, the “material operation” that we began to carry out was the digging of a trench, which was to contain part of the foundations of a rear extension. Note that we didn’t need to dig the entire trench—I got less than a foot down—the point was that I’d begun to carry out a material operation, in order to save the permission from expiring. Our Planning dept wasn’t happy about it, but their lawyers said that was sufficient. (LA is Basingstoke&Dean.)