Plant Room Help - Raised base?

richo106

Hi All

My plumbing first fix is starting next week, my ground floor is going to be tiled but won’t be for a long time yet.

My plumber said to keep things moving so he can install tanks and associated pipes etc I can install a 50 - 75mm thick base to all to sit on and then the tiler can just go up to it. I will be installating cupboards to hide everything long term anyway.

what’s the best material to use for the base?

Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions in the situation?

I am going to ply the wall to make it easier for everyone, is 1inch battens and 12mm ply standard?

Thanks again

What have you got at the moment? If you already have a surface ready for tiling why can't the tank stand on that? Is he thinking some sort of raised platform would look better or is it needed structurally? 

I would be tempted not to put a raised platform under it because it might be harder to hide in cabinets later if you don't get the size right.

I cast a 900x900mm concrete platform for our cylinder directly on top of the PIR insualtion. It needed to go in before we did the floor screed. Worked out well. Sits about 40mm higher than the finished floor and is only slightly bigger than the tank. The buffer is wall mounted.

2 hours ago, Temp said:

What have you got at the moment? If you already have a surface ready for tiling why can't the tank stand on that? Is he thinking some sort of raised platform would look better or is it needed structurally? 

I would be tempted not to put a raised platform under it because it might be harder to hide in cabinets later if you don't get the size right.

It’s currently ready for tiling, all screeded etc. it has 50mm screed

wasn’t doing it structural wise, was doing it as I won’t be tiling anytime soon and can’t just tile that room as will effect the whole ground floor tile layout 

is it worth just waiting until I have finished tiling and then doing my tank after? Was just looking at ways to get things done while I have the trades on site 

I had exactly the same, I worked out tiles and adhesive would be roughly 25mm high. 
so I fixed a 25mm batten to the plant room floor at a point just inside the plant room door. 
I then added a very tough high build floor leveller inside this batten bringing the floor up 25mm. 
when dry I removed the batten and painted the new screed with a couple of coats of garage floor paint. 
all plant and tanks sit on this new screed. 
the tiler came and tiled up neatly to my new raised screed. 
2mm aluminium trim over join between tiles and painted floor. 
worked perfectly. 

• Like 1

Ask your tiler again about total height. 

You will have

adhesive

anti fracture mat

adhesive 

tile. 

Mine came up 20mm

just hold the batten down with some concrete blocks

any floor leveller that will do 20mm 

width is dependant on tank size plus pipe work, the bigger the better. 

More importantly is to clean and prime the floor. 

Thanks again @Russell griffiths

https://www.macblair.com/arc-high-build-floor-self-levelling-compound-20kg-bag.html

Would something like this suitable? I am trying to make sure what I get is suitable just to be painted as a lot are only suitable for floor coverings and not 'finished floor'

Any recommendations much appreciated on this

Many Thanks