Can i buy a replacement Arch

Screenshot2023-07-28at14-30-35GoogleMaps.png.05609034636c2d137b55ca7f696d691a.png

Hello All

the picture shows , i think a sandstone carved arch (but i am just guessing) that is built into the wall of a 1880 inner terrace house my daughter has just bought. it has seen better days and is crumbling away . i have searched to get a suplier of a replacement but i seem to get in results are arches to grow roses up in your garden. is it possible to buy such an arch today or is it impossible. Any advise as to where i can get one is appreciated( i havnt got dimensions to hand as i type )

Edited by Sproggy

If you are wanting a stone arch then as @ProDave says, if it is going to be painted then I would be cleaning away all the loose stuff, rough up to provide a key,  shutter to required line and cast back with stone/step repair compound

Don't mess with arches. They joggle to adjust to building movement yet stay strong.

You can't take one stone out or it fails.

It is odd to see a stone arch with brick beside and above it  so i'd hazard that this has been rebuilt.

As @ProDave, get a stone mason to replace it and allow £2k or more.

Or get it rebuilt in a modern way, but designed by an Engineer.

OR just clean off the loose stuff with a brush, and keep an eye on it.

Don't think about diy or a builder who thinks it is straight forward.

Are the buildings listed or is it a historic area?

Thanks  the house was built in 1880 , an inner terrace house not in a preservation area not of any historical value. ive not looked into the arch too closely but it can be seen to be deteriating , it has dropped slightly as the whole house  has slight subsidece . its lasted this long , if its such an amount to consider replacing i hope it will last a little longer

2 hours ago, Sproggy said:

its lasted this long

The wonder of arches. The Roman ones have survived well.

They didn't paint theirs or use cement , or they might be long gone.   Yours seems to have been painted, which would  trap water which has caused spalling.

Maybe after cleaning and not applying any treatment, it will survive another 140 years.

220px-Aqueduct_of_Segovia_01.jpg

On 28/07/2023 at 23:36, saveasteading said:

The wonder of arches. The Roman ones have survived well.

They didn't paint theirs or use cement , or they might be long gone.   Yours seems to have been painted, which would  trap water which has caused spalling.

Maybe after cleaning and not applying any treatment, it will survive another 140 years.

220px-Aqueduct_of_Segovia_01.jpg

heres hoping ,