Water conditioners ...

MaryM

I can hear the 'oh no, not again' resounding ... I've read the threads a few years old about water conditioners and don't want to revisit the arguments, but can I ask if there's been any progress?

The plumbing design in my house makes a conventional salt-based system difficult to install, I've had these in my previous 2 houses and loved them, but can't face the amount of domestic upheaval (rising main one side of the garage, waste on the other and kitchen as far away as it can be on the other side of the house)  needed to accommodate my insistence on untreated outside tap and drinking supply.  I have a cartridge under-sink filter for drinking water (conveniently situated in the garage but better than drinking untreated tap water) and it works very well.  I am in the Thames Water area, pretty hard stuff.

This week I paid quite a lot for a plumber to replace the flush valve in my bathroom loo, second time in the 9 years I've lived here.  It took 8 months to find someone who would actually do it, so I'm not in a position to argue about price.  I keep the manufacturers of limescale removers in business with the industrial quantities of their products it takes to keep my bathroom/kitchen/utility surfaces looking remotely clean.

I'm aware that none of the several types of conditioners/scale inhibitors will not give me soft water, but if their claims to reduce limescale deposits/residues do have any substance, I'd be interested in that single benefit alone.

The plumber who fixed the loo suggested a 'conditioner', he's quoted £440 parts/labour, I've asked which make/model he is proposing and had no reply.  

I'm particularly interested in a comment by @Jeremy Harris in an older thread along the lines that 'some' products 'seem to' have an effect on scale deposits, may I ask which class of product?

The only clue I have is that a couple of years back I bought a shower-head with some sort of mineral beads in it that did improve the water quality in my shower, however it cut the flow to a miserable drizzle compared with the Aqualisa shower head so I ditched it.  No idea how it worked.

I do also have a 'scientific background' backed up by a Physics degree, so arguments concerning pH, electromagnetism and so on do not faze me, however I can't see how some of them can possibly apply to the claim that a product changes the crystalline structure from one which does adhere to shiny surfaces, to one which does not.  I can believe that creating a colloid would do that but uncertain how this is achieved.

If @Jeremy Harris or anyone else can help me understand, I'd be willing to punt a few hundred quid on a device to save me paying the plumber for a third flush valve in a few years' time ...  Thanks to anyone with newer info.

Edited by MaryM
explicitness

For drinking purposes the only two methods I've used are Reverse Osmosis or Distillation. I've tried both with good results. 

Whole house softening is a whole other ball game!! 

Most posts I've seen here are using the softening system with salt, that seems to be the go to. 

The only alternatives (but I've not heard convincing results from) are:

• Electronic (magnetic pulse transformer)
  • Magnetic
  • Electrolytic

These generally have a specific life span. They suspend rather than remove. 

A Lime and Soda process is usually reserved for industrial applications. 

I would love a whole house distillation system but unless I had my own Hydro / modular nuclear reactors in my shed would probably not be able to afford it! 

Interested to hear what others are doing too. 

I am using a BWT combi care cartridge.  Scale deposits have all but vanished. I am only treating the water that is heated, but it can be used for the whole house also. £70 plus £35 per year for a cartridge.

The blurb

BWT’s Combi Care polyphosphate dosing system works by introducing a very small amount of food grade polyphosphate into the water feed, sequestering the calcium in the water, helping to prevent the formation of scale.

BWT’s Combi Care is suitable for the whole house or single appliance protection, for example a central heating boiler, with an easy to change cartridge that has a 12-month life.

Easy to install with zero maintenance, this product provides positive results and ultimate flexibility.

• Easy to Install
  • Offers protection from limescale and corrosion
  • Easy change cartridge
  • 12 month cartridge life
  • Can be used in soft water areas as a corrosion inhibitor
  • WRAS approved
  • Single appliance or whole house protectionle

We’re in a hard water area and condition the drinking water from our Quooker (cold and boiling) with a Combimate phosphate dosing conditioner. 

It’s been up and running for around three years with no sign of scale on the tap at all. Should fit your bill 👍

Thanks everyone.  The device proposed is a Stuart Turner catalytic conditioner.  The theory is that changing the crystal form of calcium carbonate causes it to be held in suspension instead of sticking to things.  Changing form is well-documented science (polymorphic transition), what I'm unsure about is the conditions which bring about such a change, and how the catalyst induces/assists/accelerates the change.  Decided to risk the cost and see, as it relies on a physical change and not a chemical one.  If it fails I'll look further into Combi-mate, as their base is very local to me and I could ask to see someone in person to discuss.