Understanding bookcases: how shallow and tall can they be?

Garald

My house saga is reaching its end (I hope!) and now I have to think about bookcases. Constraints:

a) I am on a budget

b) I like wood

c) I'd like to minimize depth in certain places, since I don't have infinite depth (and my nontechnical books tend not to be large)

I suppose I'll do one wall built-to-measure, and I'll use kit bookcases for the other walls.

The problem that I am seeing is that there seem to be almost no solid-wood bookcases in the market that are both tall ( > 200cm) and shallow (<= 25 cm, say).  In fact, I can find only one, and its has mediocre reviews:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08GLV1KPD/ref=twister_B09Y26TQ31?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Is there a good reason for this? That is: is there something about wood (hard wood, even!) that prevents one from building a structurally sound bookcase that is both tall and shallow?

I too like solid wood and don't like saggy shelves. A very long time ago I made some shelving units, one of which was over 2M high, 400mm deep at the base for LPs reducing to 140mm at the top for paperbacks. It works well with the slight issue that the shelves aren't adjustable so can't accommodate slightly over sized books on the top shelves.

When we moved here we had a lot of books that didn't have a resting place. I wasn't going to make anything in the near future so we bought a few Ikea Billy shelving units, fully expecting saggy shelves etc and they were dirt cheap so disposable. In the event they have performed better than expected. There's a bit of sag on some of the adjustable shelves, but nothing terrible. So they're going to stay.

Bear in mind that, when filled with books there's not much surface visible, so the need for solid wood is more psychological rather than real!

17 minutes ago, billt said:

When we moved here we had a lot of books that didn't have a resting place. I wasn't going to make anything in the near future so we bought a few Ikea Billy shelving units, fully expecting saggy shelves etc and they were dirt cheap so disposable. In the event they have performed better than expected. There's a bit of sag on some of the adjustable shelves, but nothing terrible. So they're going to stay.

I have been wondering if strip metal screwed to the underside of the shelves would prevent this bit of sag (we have the same on our Billy bookcases)? Anyone able to comment if it would be strong enough without reaching for an L section or square tube, which would be more visible than a strip?

I customised Ikea Billy for a couple of book-walls in the front room, screwed together and top architrave to make it feel more like one piece of furniture.

Uprights alone, shelf pegs, layout etc felt more efficient to buy than build (for me) across separate 2m and 4m widths.

The shelf sag will get you on larger tomes - but as above if thats an issue, put them at the bottom or strengthen shelves with some L sections or a batten just in from the front edge underneath.

But how do I evaluate the quality of solid-wood kit furniture (that is not IKEA)? Take, for instance

https://www.otto.de/p/home-affaire-buecherregal-soeren-aus-massiver-kiefer-in-2-hoehen-und-2-tiefen-mit-viel-stauraum-394011906/#variationId=394011928

(which I cannot order from France, but whose dimensions are basically what I am looking for). Is that really better than BILLYs (which are much cheaper)? Would it last? Is it worth it? (It's a fraction of the cost of a made-to-order bookcase, even if one skips the carpenter and goes for a made-to-measure kit furniture website such as Pickawood (or are there notably better websites of the same kind?).)

I recently took apart a “solid oak” sideboard from a well know source and it was disgustingly poorly put together. Glued joints knocked apart easily because the dowels were too small and the rest was held together with staples

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-beams-strength-d_1480.html

Always look at engineering tool box, it has so much on it.

Nice. So, this means what - that pine is as good or almost as good as the rest for shelves, but that hardwood is better for the frame?

(It would also be helpful if there were a subspecies called "IKEA pine".)

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

They make better stuff than Billy Bookshelves, god I wish were were still part of the EU.

:(. Well, in case it serves as any consolation, I'm having trouble ordering German bookcases to be delivered to France.

Wait - is there no IKEA in the UK any longer? Or has it gone up in price?

15 minutes ago, Garald said:

is there no IKEA in the UK any longer

There is the UK and then there is Cornwall.  It is closer to France (192km) than London (411 km).

I am told that there is an Ikea in Exeter (159 km) but as that is in Devon, one never stops if the flag of St. Piran is showing.