MVHR boost activated mode on rainy days

Hi all,

I have been some very heavy summer rains here and I find it triggers the boost mode of my Vent Axia Sentinel. Normally my home would be about 50-55% relative humidity but on very wet days it might be 60%, but I don't consider 60% inside excessive at all. While the the noise of the boost is disturbing my sleep. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Nickfromwales changed the title to MVHR boost activated mode on rainy days
15 hours ago, Seeoda said:

I found it was set at 60% RH. Changed it to 68%. 

See how it goes, Think ours is 63%. 

Next time someone has a shower see if the boost still comes on.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2023 at 10:53, Blooda said:

See how it goes, Think ours is 63%. 

Next time someone has a shower see if the boost still comes on.

It is already helping. Although last night it was very rainy and thus it ran on boast forcing me to turn off the whole system to get sleep.

I changed our boost to 50% and left it at 60% humidity for now.

I did/do have an issue where it randomly does full boost during the night, despite no settings calling for it... Remote digital display had a c3 showing when it did this which the VA tech team couldn't help with explaining why... 

5 hours ago, Andehh said:

I changed our boost to 50% and left it at 60% humidity for now.

I did/do have an issue where it randomly does full boost during the night, despite no settings calling for it... Remote digital display had a c3 showing when it did this which the VA tech team couldn't help with explaining why... 

That is really interesting. I take it that your house is airtight enough not to be impacted by high outside humidity like mine seems to be. 

It's difficult to tell....as we have a lot of big sliders which we like to keep open. It only seems to occur middle of the night & always with a ' c3 ' displayed in bottom right hand corner which doesn't appear on any of the other boost modes.....

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 16:35, Andehh said:

It's difficult to tell....as we have a lot of big sliders which we like to keep open. It only seems to occur middle of the night & always with a ' c3 ' displayed in bottom right hand corner which doesn't appear on any of the other boost modes.....

Are you sure it's "C3" or is the fishy looking symbol, which indicates humidity boost is on?

image.png.130f107251b41a10f27b5fb5f777a3b1.png

• Thanks 1

So - now we know it is the humidity control sensor.

There are two ways the boost will come on [if you do not have an external sensor attached]  - 1 is if the humidity increases above the set amount, the other is a sharp increase in humidity.  

So random questions, does anyone take showers in the night ? or does anyone Vape in the house, both may set off the boost.  [Note:- I have no proof what so ever the vaping would set it off, it's only a theory]

How's it been since you set it to 68% ?

I had the same with my vent axia unit, I found that the filters were getting wet with moist air being drawn in causing it to boost.

I just increased the humidity until it stopped doing it, think it was high 60’s

Ours has been fine, but our Humidity is set to 72% now, with boost 50% so it isn't so loud even when it does come on. 

My sleep is in a delicate place with project issues as is, so I've more or less parked this for now at a higher Humidity then I've liked as a temp solution until I can clear the next couple of weeks. I'll then have another go at playing with it to figure out what's going on.

The annoying thing for us was everyone baths showers at 5-7ish, by bedtime Humidity has been cleared and reset to default mode..... Then 2 or 3am it's suddenly decided to full boost, with no obvious triggers. 

It was in muggy/warm days, so I can only think it's some form of night purge.. I just don't see any setting which controls it. 

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this, we have been fine last few weeks with a 65% humidity and system working fine.... however the last few days it is stubbornly staying at full boost due to humidity. We did have a lot of rain & wind last night, I think blowing in the direction of the vents.

When I check the filter, the inlet does seem mildly damp....could this be triggering the boost?? Is it just a matter of waiting for it to dry out & return to normal?

Edited by Andehh

Same happening here. I have a separate humidity sensor (pretty cheap off Amazon et al) to check.

This year there has been high humidity but I believe this is because it's been very wet and warm. So all the mvhr is doing is pulling in warm wet air, which doesn't very effectively lower the relative humidity. You need a decent temperature difference (or absolute humidity difference) between inside and outside for the mvhr to lower relative humidity. 

If there isn't any condensation or a particularly damp feeling then I wouldn't worry too much.