Driveaway ideas/advice

CloGanga

I hope I will find a good advice and ideas for DIY or contractor  

I need ideas for my large  driveway (front ) and small patio (back). I love Tarmac but it costs a lot, £18000 ( front ) and £5000 ( back ). A friend told me to use gravel but I did not like it because they move alot when you walk on it. 
Any ideas? with a cheaper cost.   see pictures.

front (2).jpg

back (2).jpg

See..

Https://www.Pavingexpert.com

There index is here..

https://www.pavingexpert.com/pavindex

Has loads of information and specifications you can give trades to work to.

Whatever you choose the absolute must is to get the sub base done right. Anyone can lay tarmac or blocks but if the sub base isn't don right it wont last and will break up and sink.

These days you need planning permission for anything that's not permeable (eg standard Tarmac) unless you use linear drains etc to stop water running off site.

• Like 1

@CloGanga, you also need a good family therapist or, worst case scenario, a good divorce lawyer.

(Read my driveway story if you are confused.)

But more seriously, given your driveway will be flat I don’t see an issue with gravel. If you go for the larger size stones (14mm to 20mm) they will be heavy enough that they shouldn’t move around much.

Edited by Adsibob
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

given your driveway will be flat I don’t see an issue with gravel.

I agree, my drive is gravel and as long as I don’t do wheelies it stays put, it will take time to settle and you need a good sub base. Mine is round stones which move more than angular ones do but I still don’t find it a problem 👍.

7 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

Crushed cotswold stone. ie. gold dust.

Used for roads and parking areas by the National Trust at stately home's  etc.

MOT Type 1 below, gold dust on top compacted with a vibrating roller.

the mrs wont thank you when its wet. makes a terrible mess.

We've 25mm quarry stone down as a temporary measure. It's doesn't move. At £250 a lorry load, can't do it cheaper. We might put a decorative layer over the top at some point, but it's fine.

3 hours ago, Conor said:

We've 25mm quarry stone down as a temporary measure. It's doesn't move. At £250 a lorry load, can't do it cheaper. We might put a decorative layer over the top at some point, but it's fine.

We put gravel over stone and the bigger stones migrates up through it. 

You will need a compacted sub base to stop gravel migrating into the soil, if your soil is compacted enough then a membrane is required to stop stones disappearing into the soil. yes the dust and smallest particles will settle to the bottom leaving the larger, cleaner stones on the top.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1