Low Level Brick Spalling / Brickwork Fracture

I am trying to help an elderly neighbour of a relative of mine. They asked me to take a look at their property and I seem to have stumbled onto a bit of a nightmare.

The property is suffering from a lot of internal damp issues I am not a builder or a structural engineer but its clear that there are some problems with the brickwork at and below ground level outside that are the cause of the damp. ( I am sure that there are other issues!)

Having spent sometime investigating it appears that the row of bricks just above ground level has completely failed (Quite possibly those below ground level are failing as well). The ground level is high and the concrete upstand/fillet look to have been the cause of this problem. When I say failed you can grab the brick and pull it out in small pieces, you could literally remove the entire brick by hand. The house is and end terraced and you could do this along the entire side elevation and a few bricks into the front and rear elevations.

I have attached some images that show the brickwork problems, any suggestions on a way forward to rectify this problem would be greatly appreciated.  I know that the first port of call should be a structural engineer, but at the moment that just isnt possible.  The home owner is an elderly lady who has health issues and I am sure has very limited financial resources.

I would like to try an improve my knowledge and gather some information so that I can advise the homeowner the best way forward.

20230702_173923.jpg

20230702_173746.jpg

20230702_173928.jpg

20230702_173728.jpg

I am more concerned with pictures 2 and 4, that looks like subsidence to me.  If so the repair is much more serious and in the process of doing that the failed bricks could be replaced in sections like you do with underpinning.

How old are the elderly owners?  Is there a case for not actually doing much if it is likely to see them out without major work to spare them the worry and let the next owner down the line deal with it? 

• Like 2

+1 on the above, a bit of spawling brickwork won’t hurt anything but to rectify the concrete needs to come out and find out what’s going on under the corner, plus I think the pipe is possibly gas supply

Can we have a photo of the whole wall, for context, please?

That is a very local bit of movement.  The concrete raises questions too.

I am not one for underpinning as a first thought. I like to see another season for the ground to recover.

But insurers may need to be informed, if only for the record.

• Like 1

You need to take out some of the concrete and have a look at how far down the issue goes.

The significant diagonal crack suggest an issue with the wall or foundation. It may be due to degradation of the bricks. 

The insurers should be able to send out an engineer to take a look. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, azureblue said:

I am trying to help an elderly neighbour of a relative of mine.

Good to help out.

Yes looks like some potentially significant movement has taken place. Photos showing the wider context would help a lot. Don't forget to include the roof so folk can get a full picture of how the building may be loading the wall.

• Like 1

For me the first action would be to cut 150mm of concrete back from the wall,along the whole elevation. This will allow inspection of ground level brickwork & to install a French Drain. 
+1 re chimney stack-it also looks like it’s shifted laterally which is a worry. A window right next to the stack is unusual,possibly installed by a previous owner. I’d want to see (as best you can) the condition of the lintol above.