Cost effective supplier of green roof accessories

Adsibob

I have enough sedum modules leftover that I can cover a 2m2 bike shed (dimensions 1m by 2m). But I don’t have any aluminium profiles to make the upstanding along the perimeter, or the protection fleece that goes under the middle to filter out any soil particles from the drainage.

Googling around I found this edge trim, but at this price it will cost me over £180 for the 6 linear metres of upstand I need.

I found a 1m by 2m sheet of protection fleece, exactly the dimension I require, here but the delivery charge seems excessive.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper supplier, particularly for the edge trim?

Could you use some plastic guttering, square section, on its side. It is only to stop sliding until the plants are established, and to deflect water runoff to a drain.

I would have thought agricultural fleece would act as a filter.

Go to the GQT website, they know all about everything garden related.

1 hour ago, markc said:

The upstand could be pretty much anything, it’s only there to stop the sedum falling off and woven geotextile will allow water to pass and stop soil particles

There is an aesthetic element to this upstand as it’s quite prominent, being a sedum roof over a low bike shed (about 1.2m high from the floor. I really like the look of the grufekit I posted, I just don’t like the price!

52 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

There is an aesthetic element to this upstand as it’s quite prominent, being a sedum roof over a low bike shed (about 1.2m high from the floor. I really like the look of the grufekit I posted, I just don’t like the price!

Ah yes, wasn’t sure if you were going to have cladding etc. in front of the upstand as that always seems a waste

So I found a supplier that could supply 6 linear metres of trims, plus the connectors for just under £100. Was about to place the order when i say they wanted to charge £90 plus VAT for delivery! What the (expletive deleted) is wrong with this country. I estimate the parcel is less than 10kg. We just shipped an 8kg snowboard with parecelforce, including a pickup service from our house, where we charged £12.

Edited by Adsibob
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

when i say they wanted to charge £90 plus VAT for delivery!

Is it because it’s long lengths? I recently purchased recycled plastic lengths for my new garage base and the postage was a 1/3rd if they cut it in half 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Is it because it’s long lengths? I recently purchased recycled plastic lengths for my new garage base and the postage was a 1/3rd if they cut it in half 🤷‍♂️

Well the snowboard i just shipped was almost 2m long, so I don't buy that excuse, given the longest length of trim I was going to purchase was 2m. It's just daylight robbery.

1 minute ago, Adsibob said:

Well the snowboard i just shipped was almost 2m long, so I don't buy that excuse, given the longest length of trim I was going to purchase was 2m. It's just daylight robbery.

Fair point, what if you arrange collect and arranged your own courier 🤷‍♂️

On 03/07/2023 at 10:45, markc said:

woven geotextile will allow water to pass and stop soil particles

But not stop sedum roots which will get into any gaps they can find in the roof cover 

What weight is this system when wet?

I once wanted to prove why a green roof should not be a planning condition  and did it by showing how much more material the building needed. I think it was about 50kg/m2.

Is your bike shed up to it?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

How many artisan barbers visits / pilates lessons would that pay for? 

Barber costs £14 to £28 quid, depending on what I have done. Last time he insisted on waxing my nasal hair and singeing my ear hair, but I didn’t like it, so he didn’t charge me for those. I’m going to purchase some cheap clippers and ask SWMBO to do it (my facial and head hair, not my ear or nose hair). Pilates costs vary, depending on whether you go for one-on-one by the hour or a 45 minute group session. 

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I’m going to purchase some cheap clippers

I do my own, mirror and camera.

Even got an attachment to trip orifices.  Very good it is. 

Think it cost a tenner in The Middle of Lidl.

Philips 11-in-1 All-In-One Trimmer, Series 5000 Grooming Kit for Beard ...

Edited by SteamyTea