Hi all

I’ve searched online but can’t find the answer to this. As I understand it we have to apply for CIL exemption as soon as we get planning permission and then notify when we are ready to build. Our issue is that it will be a very long time before we start the project but our plans are in planning at the moment. (Our situation is slightly complicated!) Is there any time limit between these two stages? TIA

27 minutes ago, Selfbuildsarah said:

As I understand it we have to apply for CIL exemption as soon as we get planning permission and then notify when we are ready to build.

Double check but my understanding is you only need to claim the exemption before commencement not as soon as you getting planning permission.

Think the timescales are..

Assume liability - (must be done before claiming the exemption).

Claim exemption (Form 7 part 1) - (Must be done before commencement)

Commencement Notification - (Must be done before commencement)

Get Building Control Approval

Build house and get Building Control Completion.

Claim exemption (Form 7 part 2) (Must be done within 6 months of completion)

Must live in the house for 3 years after completion.

You should also submit your VAT reclaim within three 3 months of completion. Caution: If you move in before completion there is a risk HMRC will deem you to be complete on that date even if you don't yet have Building Control Completion).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Temp said:

Double check but my understanding is you only need to claim the exemption before commencement not as soon as you getting planning permission.

Think the timescales are..

Assume liability - (must be done before claiming the exemption).

Claim exemption (Form 7 part 1) - (Must be done before commencement)

Commencement Notification - (Must be done before commencement)

Get Building Control Approval

Build house and get Building Control Completion.

Claim exemption (Form 7 part 2) (Must be done within 6 months of completion)

Must live in the house for 3 years after completion.

You should also submit your VAT reclaim within three 3 months of completion. Caution: If you move in before completion there is a risk HMRC will deem you to be complete on that date even if you don't yet have Building Control Completion).

Plus 1 

Ive left it till I applied for building regs each time 

Then notified them a couple of weeks before breaking ground 

• Like 1

If you are in Northumberland you don’t need to apply for an exemption at all.  Was just about to apply for mine but checked with the planning office and apparently ‘Northumberland County Council is not a Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Authority’ 

Don’t know if other county councils are the same, but it surprised me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PNAmble said:

If you are in Northumberland you don’t need to apply for an exemption at all.  Was just about to apply for mine but checked with the planning office and apparently ‘Northumberland County Council is not a Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Authority’ 

Don’t know if other county councils are the same, but it surprised me. 

Yes not all Councils have introduced the CIL. Some still use S106 instead and some both.

• Like 1