What is a screwdriver like this called?

Sparrowhawk

I have a number of stiff screws to get out, either overtightened or seized in place, that I can't shift with a screwdriver or with my 10.8V Bosch PSB 10.8 LI-2 Cordless Combi Drill.

So I found a screwdriver with a hole in the handle and I've been putting my body weight on it and exerting force via another screwdriver through the handle. No screw has won - yet.

But this bodge has damaged the screwdriver through the handle. As there's more to remove, what's the proper type of screwdriver to do this with?

IMG_20230701_143316.jpg.e87fc49652b6aba63aaec0331143dccf.jpg

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Impact driver.

Thanks, was googling for "Socket screwdriver" which doesn't seem to exist, and "ratchet screwdriver" which is something else.

Edit: Do socket sets take screwdriver bits? One 2.5 inch screw I've just taken out from a wooden fireplace surround had to be levered out its whole length, so losening just at the start as a manual impact driver seems to do is unlikely to be enough for some of these.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Yes, socket sets do take screwdriver bits. A 1/4" drive to hex adaptor is the piece you need.

My bigger screwdrivers have a hexagon integral to the shaft. It is designed such that a ring spanner can be used to give increased leverage. I thought this was a standard feature of half-reasonable screwdrivers.

Failing that, my trusty Li-Ion Erbauer imact driver usually wins. But it chews the bits up in short order so have plenty of spares.

• Thanks 1