Trench digging, found hollows? holes

Little concerned/curious over these 'hollows' I've found when digging out a foundation trench. They seem to only be close to rocks, the one nearest to camera goes deeper into the hollow. Not very deep but I've not really delved into it. This is the only place I've found them after digging around 7m length

First thoughts were an old well, as in this area it does tend to flood under heavy downpours from groundwater however also could be rat tunnels? Figured I'd share here and get some 2nd opinions

Thank you

PXL_20230629_175317255.thumb.jpg.ca90055d26c237568c3017d4896c6cb6.jpgScreenshot_20230629-190136.thumb.png.fb30b6155f953256c67d1ab639f77b94.png

Edited by garden4ork

Think I would dig a bit deeper in those areas to see how deep they go. Be careful you don't fall down a mine shaft or old well. Tie a bowline around your waste if you go in the trench.

• Like 1

It's close to the ground so I'd suspect backfill, but take care and dig some more, pull out the rock and see what your left with, if it's backfill and you get ground water it may well have washed away leaving the voids in the poorly compacted backfill.

Thank you. The void backfill description does sound likely now you've said it but reading about falling down a mineshaft made me shudder a bit! Will take care...

Edited by garden4ork