2 port valves location?

Super_Paulie

Tapered fitting, no dice, exactly the same as my bush. Tap, just binds up, just making it worse. Honestly don't really know what to do now, the whole thing has been a massive sink of time, money and effort... Only thing that gets anywhere near is the 25mm fitting in the stop cock. I'm debating grinding the top few threads on the tank away with a Dremel? Dont have much to lose at this stage...!

Right I have no means to measure the thread sadly. Looking at this with less pissed off eyes, I'm pretty sure the thread pattern is different. The 25mm tap that actually fits in it, the thread is different to the 1" bush that doesn't. Tap on the bottom, 1" bush on the top. Every bush or fitting I've tried has that same larger thread... So that's what's going on here, I need the bush/fitting with the same thread as the tap.

IMG_20230714_162013.jpg

This picture will help no one im sure, almost impossible to get a picture of it. I would say the one I'm having problems with is 11 tpi and the ones that all work are 10tpi, but it's tricky to measure.... Might just take the fittings to a plumbers merchant if I can find one local.

InCollage_20230714_162254081.jpg

On 13/07/2023 at 15:01, dpmiller said:

Are all the fittings you've tried BSP? Might be worth trying an iron BSPT fitting in, it could well go in better and if necessary will massage the thread slightly. I wouldn't risk a tap coz if it actually *is* a different thread you'll possibly scrap it...

For the win... Hopefully. Plumbase says it's a 1" male iron. However they didn't have any...

34 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

not all compression fittings have a BSP on the nut, I think they're actually Whit. But more modern stuff could well be metric even, that could be M30x2.5 or somesuch.

The guy behind the counter had a 1" female iron and it went onto the end of my 25mm tap no bother. Said I need a 1" male iron but they didn't have any, typical. So I'll mooch around the internet tonight to see what I can find.

No joy with the 1" male iron, that didn't fit either. End of teather is approaching...

The problem is the thread, I need a fitting with a much finer thread it seems and I've only ever seen that on the end of a 25mm stop tap, ridiculous!

At a push... Can I just leave this old 25mm stop tap in there? 

Actually don't have the room underneath the tank now, the tap and drain will hit the floor. Jesus, what an ordeal.

Ok so I can flip the tank and have the stupid tap/air valve combo on top, just need a 15mm - 1/2 adaptor.

Been a crazy time this...

IMG_20230715_133425.jpg

Have you not tried a 1” tap to recut the thread? I can’t remember where we got to with that. 
If the stopcock works then crack on. They’re good for 10bar and that’ll rarely see north of 2bar. 👍

It’s time to end this madness, so “make it so, number two”. 🫡

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have you not tried a 1” tap to recut the thread? I can’t remember where we got to with that. 
If the stopcock works then crack on. They’re good for 10bar and that’ll rarely see north of 2bar. 👍

It’s time to end this madness, so “make it so, number two”. 🫡

I bought a 1" BSP tap but it was totally obvious it wouldn't go in as it was just destroying threads and then bound up. I could wind the tap into one of the other 1" ports no problem, but it was just making things worse in the bottom port so I stopped before it just made it totally unusable.

All in all, an absolute (expletive deleted)ing nightmare on something that should have been simplicity itself!

Anyways, I've got all the ports wound in and chemical fittings all in the chimney breast ready to go, so hopefully make progress this week.

Thanks for all the help with this guys, was really at my wit's end with this.

1 hour ago, Super_Paulie said:

I bought a 1" BSP tap but it was totally obvious it wouldn't go in as it was just destroying threads and then bound up. I could wind the tap into one of the other 1" ports no problem, but it was just making things worse in the bottom port so I stopped before it just made it totally unusable.

All in all, an absolute (expletive deleted)ing nightmare on something that should have been simplicity itself!

Anyways, I've got all the ports wound in and chemical fittings all in the chimney breast ready to go, so hopefully make progress this week.

Thanks for all the help with this guys, was really at my wit's end with this.

The force is strong with you.....B|

Just to finish this whole drama and say cheers to you guys for the help, the tank is in and pressurised. Although I have a daft tap on the top (I reversed the tank) going into a compression-solder-1/2 bush it holds just fine. No idea what the problem was but I have no doubt that this will work out ok.

The tank is wall mounted, even though I could have had a free standing one, the Cordivari was the exact width I needed to go in this location without jutting out and meant my pipe work was a lot simpler. I've tested the diverter valve and it works, just need to rig it to the rad 2 port in the room below.

So I can move on finally, cheers guys and thanks. 👍

IMG_20230724_142556_1.jpg

IMG_20230724_143912.jpg

IMG_20230724_143428.jpg