Looking at claiming self build VAT , what if money came from family member for something?

I just was reading through and although the name on the invoices was mine, my mother did pay for some cement. Darn, does that mean we can't reclaim the VAT? I wonder if I could get her name added to the invoice with mine? She will be living with us. Or could I get it reinvoiced in her name and she could claim for that bit?

Edited by CalvinHobbes

If the invoices are in your name it’s highly unlikely they will ask you to prove who paid for them. Even if they did you can evidence that it was a family member who will be living in the property. They wouldn’t accept the invoice if it was paid by a company for example unless you could prove that you paid the full cost including the VAT but that doesn’t apply here. 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2023 at 01:08, CalvinHobbes said:

I just was reading through and although the name on the invoices was mine, my mother did pay for some cement. Darn, does that mean we can't reclaim the VAT? I wonder if I could get her name added to the invoice with mine? She will be living with us. Or could I get it reinvoiced in her name and she could claim for that bit?

If your name and address is on the VAT invoice its not a problem. 

• Like 1