Ladder questions

Sparrowhawk

After making do with a hand-me-down set of wooden decorators steps, I need to get to two places I can't reach from them. Also they're getting increasingly wobbly and need to go!

I want to get to and remove the fascias and gutters from first floor roof height, which are 2.9m off the ground; and in our stairwell I need to get up there and lever the dado rail from the wall and then replaster and paint. The staircase is 0.75m wide and is inclined at 45(ish) degrees

IMG_20230624_154316.thumb.jpg.bfeb5d3792397db94f4b75c11023e851.jpg

I've looked at https://www.screwfix.com/p/werner-3-section-5-way-aluminium-combination-ladder-with-platform-2-48m/420kh but with the stabilisers fitted it's too wide for the stairs and I'm unclear if the platform will grip at any height - or it cannot be level on the stairs. What are good options to consider?

Second question are stabilising bars the best option to make working up a ladder safer? They look like they should make it more stable when pulling/pushing stuff at the top of the ladder.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I would buy something like this  https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2026659?clickPR=plp:1:3

Werner 3 in 1 Combination Ladder 0

Can be used as a step ladder, straight ladder, or offset step ladder on stairs.

Mine are a much older variant on this design and both halves are just an ordinary ladder without that annoying bar on one section that makes it wider at the bottom.  If you can find one the older design, imho it is better.  

For me personally a set of tele steps for working on stairs every time, height adjustable to suit your needs nice and wide to work from but not to wide for the stair treads.

BPS access solutions have some fair priced one's , Toolstation etc..

1 hour ago, Discoeye said:

For me personally a set of tele steps for working on stairs every time, height adjustable to suit your needs nice and wide to work from but not to wide for the stair treads.

BPS access solutions have some fair priced one's , Toolstation etc..

Post a link please, not sure what you are describing?

38 minutes ago, Discoeye said:

I would NEVER use one of those myself.

I come from an engineering background and I like good reliable trustworthy mechanisms.

With that type of ladder you have a hidden mechanism that locks the extended sections if the ladder in place.  I climbed one once and was petrified that the whole damned thing might collapse with me on it as I could not even see the mechanism so have no trust in it.

Others may have more confidence in them, but sorry not me.

I have this one from Wickes.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Werner-Aluminium-12-in-1-Multi-Purpose-Ladder-with-Platform/p/250167

image.png.19ea5cb07079b6358443af718184ffb6.png

The stabilisers, like a kids bike, can be removed, and I have long ago lost the platform insert.

It is heavy, but that makes it flex less, which is nice, none of that leg shaking vibration.

Have had it over 20 years, think I got it in a sale for £25.  As if folds up small, it fits in the boot of a small car.

My stairwell is similar to yours, I stand on the banister when I paint the top corner.

Put some grippy shoes on, one hand on the wall for triangulation, and make sure the paint tray is in reach of the other hand.

(caveat, like @joe90, we have both done rock climbing, so are pretty confident, but cautious about it, and we don't put our fairy dancing shoes on).

image.png.f73f149209e2fd1e0e07c31730e5edd4.png

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ProDave said:

I would buy something like this  https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2026659?clickPR=plp:1:3

Can be used as a step ladder, straight ladder, or offset step ladder on stairs.

Thanks, looks handy. Sellers don't like stating the max standing height or even safe working height in each combination, do they?! Werner have a handy page about where you should stand and do give figures on their site which I'm using as a starting point.

For the fascias I'll need to stand 1.5m off the ground to work easily. Am I right in thinking that having the ladder as an A frame is more stable than leaning the top against the wall and the bottom on the patio?

34 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

....  Am I right in thinking that having the ladder as an A frame is more stable than leaning the top against the wall and the bottom on the patio?

No ........... 

Yes, an A Frame is likely to be a more stable platform on which to work.  But it isn't if ,   standing on the A frame, you work to the side of the ladder - in other words push across the line of the ladder. Your weight , leaning in line with the ladder, makes the set up much more stable. And thus safer.

Try it. Stand on the first step of the ladder, in line with the ladder. And push against the wall. Next make the ladder into a A frame, set it alongside the wall. And push against the wall at the same height as before...   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With an a frame it might set you back further so you will have to reach further, or facing the other way working sideways which is not comfortable.

Stabiliser bars are an added assurance and somebody or something heavy against the bottom of the ladder or the extreme which bt,cable guys do is drill and eye screw then tie off of that but that means lots of holes in your brickwork.

My pet hate is stepladders that make the very top step look just like any other step, but make it out of weak plastic, and then in small writing state "no step"

Of COURSE people are going to use it as a step.  If you don't want them to step on it,make it so you can't step on it, otherwise make it strong enough to step on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Discoeye said:

Or ???

Will have to open the windows to let the fumes out, but at least the carpet will be blown clean.

Reminds me of the racing harness in my old Golf.

I can tell you that after an 80MPH shunt, a quick death would have been preferable.

The todger may be safe, but the nads ain't.

image.png.7742fbc9676758b6e24eec1bd904387e.png

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I can tell you that after an 80MPH shunt, a quick death would have been preferable.

The todger may be safe, but the nads ain't.

You try a terminal (120mph) opening of a parachute with your meat and veg in the wrong place in the harness 🤯( been there done that,  just the once!,!).