Marmox Thermoblock under SIPS?

There is a possibility of a cold bridge at the location of the blockwork under dpc and the insulation of the SIP. The interface being the timber plate the SIP sits on. This could rot over time, or so the theory goes.

I was going to use Marmox blocks for timber frame build, instead decided to go ICF build, in the end used Thermolite blocks instead.

Ask the SIP company for advise, don't ask with a leading question, just ask for general advice on foundation blockwork and ask a general question about any cold bridges in that area, see what they come back with.

I’m currently on a SIP’s type build (TF with 140mm PIR infill) and Marmox was the obvious choice there, plus under the large sliders. Also for the rising intermediate internal walls. All of these are significant cold bridges.
IMO you should 100% go with this detail, with the top of the Marmox finishing above ToC, but I am assuming this is not on a raft foundation? 

3 hours ago, Post and beam said:

Hi Nick

This will be Block and beam, 150mm insulation, UFH/screed. The Sips panels are 187mm thick  for the U. 15 that i have chosen.

Yup. Pretty much what is on site at this project. 
30mm PIR upstands against kicker blocks, and Marmox on top / immediately under TF sole plate. 
AT tape starts at 1st 100mm layer of PIR and then top layer and joints taped / foamed again for belt and braces. Internal AT membrane then comes down and gets taped to the tape already on / across the Marmox blocks.

PIR updstands hidden by internal service battens + PB + skim. 

20 hours ago, Post and beam said:

approx £2k for the outer perimeter then i think. Internal walls will add to this sub total.

Ouch!

And if your not careful with the design you could still have a cold bridge.

Do you have a drawing you can post of the current design?

5 hours ago, Post and beam said:

Do you mean that you think £2k is cheap or that it would be less in some way for a traditional build?

£2k to effectively kill cold bridging for a 6 figure project is negligible, aka ‘cheap’ in the grand scheme. Compacfoam / other would need pricing to get an effective comparison here tbh, so it’ll be down to your own diligence to surmise what is best / perceived ‘cheap’ etc. 

5 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Yup, agreed. Sectional drawings would help, as we’re currently drawing conclusions from what info is available here. 

On 24/06/2023 at 23:53, Nickfromwales said:

£2k to effectively kill cold bridging for a 6 figure project is negligible

I agree just wondered if there was a difference in some way between using it on a SIPs project and a brick construction. The £2k is more than i budgeted because i did not realise i need wider Marmox than i thought.

I think i will get more value from this than i would spending a similar amount to upgrade from a .15 to a .14 U value build. Which is one of the Potton options.

On 24/06/2023 at 18:31, JohnMo said:

here is what i am using albeit with block and beam but its the same.

image.png.3d57fe680874f2d55ff02e67d8d12e34.png

the full guide is here https://www.marmox.co.uk/uploads/catalogue_gallery/33/datasheets/ThermoblockTechnical2019.pdf

Not built like this before.

Thinking out loud though:

Treated sole plate.

Sip /sole plate starts at structural floor level.

Insulation and floor screed raise raise floor level (fill in between SIPs) and eliminate sole plate thermal bridge. 

Airtight the poly under the screed to the walls.

Done?

Airtightness avoids drawing in loads of moisture from outside during heating season.

The sole plate dries to outside via ventilated rainscreen. Just like the rest of the sip. And indeed the floor insulation.

Where would you need marmox?

Useful on door openings perhaps.

Can't see it being useful elsewhere. Lifting the sole plate will surely make more of a bridge (1*45 mm through wall) than the OSB otherwise would (1*11 mm down through floor insulation) especially once that sole playe has been fastened down?

For rot I would worry more about joints between sip panels and especially those at roof level where stack effect will try to drive moisture through the gaps in a far more concentrated way than you might otherwise get with a stick build. Top layer of roof sandwich then turns to Weetabix.

On 23/06/2023 at 17:23, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Pretty much what is on site at this project. 
30mm PIR upstands against kicker blocks, and Marmox on top / immediately under TF sole plate. 
AT tape starts at 1st 100mm layer of PIR and then top layer and joints taped / foamed again for belt and braces. Internal AT membrane then comes down and gets taped to the tape already on / across the Marmox blocks.

PIR updstands hidden by internal service battens + PB + skim. 

I am just about at this stage and having "discussions" with my builder. Please can you sketch this out please so I fully understand it. I would be very grateful.