Brick slips on ICF

Architect has suggested ground floor in brick and first floor rendered. Rendering is easy, how would you typically fix brick slips to ICF and can that bridge the DPC/section of waterproof conc infill?

Hi Jayc89, 

Many brick slips suppliers have a carrier board / recommended fixing detail.

For instance Eurobrick V clad or X clad, who have this panel to slot the bricks into https://www.eurobrick.co.uk/v-clad the carrier board is screwed into the ICF fixings.

Also have a look at https://www.ribaproductselector.com/Product.aspx?ci=16545&pr=Wetherby-Brick-Slip-Cladding-SystemsWBS15mmBrickSlipCladdingSystems These are fixed to their crimped steel mesh which is also secured to the embedded fixings in the ICF blocks.

There are many others including Ibstock, Brick slips Ltd etc. I would be looking at a system that has a backing panel or similar as they are much easier to install than ones without carrier systems.

However, without a carrier board, you can attach brick slips to a render basecoat. It's just more difficult to ensure straightness.

Whenever brick slips have been specified, I have redesigned the building to include a full skin of the same brick.

Might as well use the inherent strength and stability,  and create a cavity 

A whole brick is cheaper than one of the 2 slips that can be sawn off it.

It's real. Slips are fake.

I can understand why McDonald's uses slips, but these are fast build, temporary buildings.

37 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Whenever brick slips have been specified, I have redesigned the building to include a full skin of the same brick.

Might as well use the inherent strength and stability,  and create a cavity 

A whole brick is cheaper than one of the 2 slips that can be sawn off it.

It's real. Slips are fake.

I can understand why McDonald's uses slips, but these are fast build, temporary buildings.

I want to build in ICF, it's something I'd be confident attempting myself, after I've been on the manufacturer's training course. The ground floor has been spec'd in brick, first floor in render. TF would be an obvious option, but it's expensive (as I won't need to pay labour with ICF) and first floor noise is a concern, we live near a busy-ish road, and we like our bedroom very quiet (150mm concrete + 250mm EPS should hopefully help with that!)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

Had natural building stone as exterior in plans. Have specified an insulated raft foundation and engineer isn't happy to specify a separate strip outside the raft to hold the weight of stone due to potential for variation in settlement rates. So I'm left looking at using brick slips. Has anybody got a good detail using expanding mesh to help hold the load from the brick slips? I'd like a heavier cut slip, maybe 30mm thick cut which is heavier than the slimline ones which can be stuck on. Also, do I definitely need to have a scratch coat applied before applying stone and is there any concern with putting expanding mesh/wall ties through the external leaf at regular intervals? Maybe an issue during pour or potentially a water ingress route? 

Thanks for any input! 

Conor

15 hours ago, ConorB said:

Hi,

Had natural building stone as exterior in plans. Have specified an insulated raft foundation and engineer isn't happy to specify a separate strip outside the raft to hold the weight of stone due to potential for variation in settlement rates. So I'm left looking at using brick slips. Has anybody got a good detail using expanding mesh to help hold the load from the brick slips? I'd like a heavier cut slip, maybe 30mm thick cut which is heavier than the slimline ones which can be stuck on. Also, do I definitely need to have a scratch coat applied before applying stone and is there any concern with putting expanding mesh/wall ties through the external leaf at regular intervals? Maybe an issue during pour or potentially a water ingress route? 

Thanks for any input! 

Conor

Can you incorporate an ICF corbel detail onto the side of your raft?  Or just extend the raft?

On 26/06/2023 at 16:47, jayc89 said:

I want to build in ICF, it's something I'd be confident attempting myself, after I've been on the manufacturer's training course. The ground floor has been spec'd in brick, first floor in render. TF would be an obvious option, but it's expensive (as I won't need to pay labour with ICF) and first floor noise is a concern, we live near a busy-ish road, and we like our bedroom very quiet (150mm concrete + 250mm EPS should hopefully help with that!)

Windows will be more of a problem with sound than the walls.

• 4 months later...
On 27/10/2023 at 09:53, FM2015 said:

Can you incorporate an ICF corbel detail onto the side of your raft?  Or just extend the raft?

Mentioned this to my engineer and talked with raft manufacturer but in the end didn't go for it. I'm still looking for ways to stick natural stone veneer to EPS. A stonemason suggested I fasten concrete board direct to ICF then stick stone onto it.. could be a good alternative?