Front door design

Hi all can anyone explain the name of this feature, whereby the font door panel seems to extend above the door and exterior wall above. I have a normal canopy porch and would like to get rid of this and install a feature like this. Is there a particular name for this from an architectural perspective. Is there any structural works required. Any insight would be much appreciated.

7F285F2C-5B5C-4D2C-893F-6901615E94B2.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, if you find it useful consider donating to server costs.

These are sometimes called "full height" doors or windows. Normally used where the ground floor inside also extends upto the roof, perhaps the stair we'll, but not necessarily. 

• Like 1

As for structural work it might depend on what you have inside. Does the first floor meet the front wall above the current front door or do you already have a stair well? Which way do the floor joists run? Front to back or left right? A lintel is also needed above the top window.

• Like 1

Many thanks. My own house has a window above the front door with brick wall in between the two. Both the door and window above share the same structural wall so I think is doable. We have stairs in front when you open the door so would like to have this feature to form part of the landing. 

Below is my own front door with a standard canopy porch. I would like to get rid of the bulk and create a more streamlined look to the house exterior.

9279DDAE-F6F1-4C83-BECC-0A185E31FD91.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sam11 said:

Hi all can anyone explain the name of this feature, whereby the font door panel seems to extend above the door and exterior wall above. I have a normal canopy porch and would like to get rid of this and install a feature like this. Is there a particular name for this from an architectural perspective. Is there any structural works required. Any insight would be much appreciated.

7F285F2C-5B5C-4D2C-893F-6901615E94B2.jpeg

I think it’s called 80’s post modern too high to clean or do anything with.

1 hour ago, ETC said:

I think it’s called 80’s post modern too high to clean or do anything with.

Ahh the 80s. Reagan, Thatcher the Cold War between east and west, and Spandeu Ballet.