Output dropped. Is it the inverter?

SteveH2

Our installations dates from 2009, the installer is no longer in business.  On a sunny day it runs at 1500W or more.  Now it's dropped to 400Wish.  The panels are reasonably clean

A local outfit says it will be the inverter (price to replace nearly 2K), but that sounds unlikely to me.  Could it be, are there any other possibilities?

Thanks

Could be the inverter or the panels. On some old systems shading or a defect on just one cell in one panel limits the output of the whole system.

Needs someone to look at it on a sunny day not just guess from their office.

Did this happen suddenly just now? What are you reading from? Are you able to corroborate app data with solar generation meter and a rough idea from whatever mains/export meter setup you have? I had a glitch once due to a CT clamp being knocked out of position

I think that inverters are generally of the 'fails fully or not at all' variety of equipment. I suggest a single panel could be damaged or something more subtle. Check connections carefully and see if anything is hot that shouldn't be. Scan the roof with binoculars etc. And yeah, you need to provide more information...

Output slowly reduced over many months? Suddenly dropped one day? Multiple strings? How many panels? Any shaded? Graphs, pictures etc. We're not clairvoyant you know...you need to do some of the work too.

4 hours ago, SteveH2 said:

A local outfit says it will be the inverter (price to replace nearly 2K), but that sounds unlikely to me.  Could it be, are there any other possibilities?

Post a photo of the inverter and its data plate. Do you know the make and model of the panels and how many there are?

On 20/06/2023 at 14:19, PhilT said:

Did this happen suddenly just now? What are you reading from? Are you able to corroborate app data with solar generation meter and a rough idea from whatever mains/export meter setup you have? I had a glitch once due to a CT clamp being knocked out of position

I wish I knew if it was sudden (but see below).  From the display on the inverter.  Not an app.

Setup.  14 BP 180WC panels, Fronius IG30 inverter. 

I managed to find the manual for the inverter online.  There was a hint that it can reduce the output if it overheats. 
I turned it off, gave it 10 minutes, turned it on again, and the output climbed to a plausible level (1300W today).  Then sunk down to 400Wish.  There is an interior fan which isn't turning.   If only the local agent responded to messages

Thanks

On 20/06/2023 at 14:23, Alan Ambrose said:

I think that inverters are generally of the 'fails fully or not at all' variety of equipment. I suggest a single panel could be damaged or something more subtle. Check connections carefully and see if anything is hot that shouldn't be. Scan the roof with binoculars etc. And yeah, you need to provide more information...

Output slowly reduced over many months? Suddenly dropped one day? Multiple strings? How many panels? Any shaded? Graphs, pictures etc. We're not clairvoyant you know...you need to do some of the work too.

see my post at around 15:30 today
Yes exactly I was thinking inverters would be all or nuthin, but actually overheating protection makes sense.

Can't say for sure when output dropped over how long, but suspect it's sudden because I think I would have noticed.  Roof looks fine we can get at it easily. No shade.
14 panels BP brand 180WC, grouped as 10 and 4, Fronius IG30 inverter

Thanks

A replacement inverter won't cost you £2k. Are you tied to a payment scheme that dictates what can be altered in the system?

If not, a new inverter will be ~£500 and a couple of hours to install. But as you say, could be something as simple as a fluff clogged fan or burnt out motor.

6 hours ago, SteveH2 said:

Yes exactly I was thinking inverters would be all or nuthin, but actually overheating protection makes sense.

Take the cover off the inverter and leave a fan heater set to cold blowing over the innards to cool it down. Make sure no one can touch the inverter when its powered or for 10 mins after its switched off!!

Turning it off for a short while isnt going to cool it much so if overheating is your problem it'll be unlikely youll make any difference turning it off and on.

If the inverters duff theres unlikley to be any reason not to fit a modern inverter, the FIT scheme now allows you to change components/system size.

• 4 weeks later...