calling Brickies, premium for Flemish bond?

18 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Basically as @Canski above says, even if the bricks are pre cut, you have to handle more bricks to get the distance. More bricks = more money. More bricks to lay per square meter. Thats why blockwork costs less than brickwork to do.

I get it, i am trying to get a feel for what the premium might be. I am also not trying to shirk paying or trying to get anything for free.

25 minutes ago, Buzz said:

From Google a handy guide for all bonds. More bricks and cuts per m2 more money and materials. 

TIS-A4-Brickwork-Bonds-and-net-Quantities-2021.pdf 794.31 kB · 1 download

I think if you are building a brick and block cavity wall Stretcher and Flemish use the same number of bricks if you ignore losses due to cutting.

There are some brick laying channels on YouTube, might be worth asking in the comments section. 

Google suggests greater skill is required to get flemish to look right and there are more perps per sqm so must be some cost premium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Post and beam said:

Apologies, i dont understand this response.

Apologies….I’m sorry if my response seemed harsh I was juggling pricing / doing wages and dealing with a kitchen rep and a long hard day at the time and I always want to give something back to build hub members so I could only post a rapid reply. The explanation then … If it’s normal Flemish bond and not Flemish garden wall bond ie. Header stretcher header stretcher then instead of the standard 60 units (bricks) for stretcher bond per m2 you have 30 full brick’s and 60 half bricks so 90 units per m2 that all need buttering and pointing.  So that should equal 1.5 times the usual rate for stretcher bond. This is providing the headers are pre cut. This is without taking into account the extra work dealing with queen closers and that one needs to take more care on plumb perps etc. I charge 1.75 x my rate for Flemish and English bond. MNy think that a m2 of brickwork is simply a m2 of brickwork but there are many variables.  I hope this helps. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Post and beam said:

Is there a premium to be paid to have tiles laid flemish bond? Due to the aggravation factor.

My potential brick merchant tells me it is possible to order a pallet of Half bricks for just this bond style. 

When you say ‘to lay tiles’,was that a typo?

If it’s brickwork then +1 to all of the above,and to add that setting the bond out so the piers work in the best way possible takes far longer than with stretcher bond-you could basically write off a day for a 2&1 just on this for a standard house. Seen an extension a while back where the guy obviously had limited understanding of the bond & the piers were truly shocking.