Vaulted ceilings

nod

We made a start today insulating the three vaulted ceiling’s and numerous slopes Up nice and early 6am 

100 mil of pir A layer of super foil 3x1s 

Then 82 mil of insulated plasterboard 

C78FAE33-CE72-4053-A894-AA24EC5D4DD4.thumb.jpeg.51db56629d70033ff85e991d117dd752.jpeg

I’m not sure what the u value is 

It fine directly onto the rafters 

It acts the same way as fixing 60 mil of pir on to the rafters There’s 50 mil air gap behind the pir and 25 between the insulated plasterboard 

my architect wanted  me to have vaulted cielings 

Iasked her if she was going to ocme round and clean and de spider web them 

never mind all that extra volume of air to heat  and the 50% extra insulation it would need + arsholing around fitting between exposed beams etc

not my bag 

Edited by scottishjohn

5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

my architect wanted  me to have vaulted cielings 

Iasked her if she was going to ocme round and clean and de spider web them 

never mind all that extra volume of air to heat  and the 50% extra insulation it would need + arsholing around fitting between exposed beams etc

not my bag 

The contrary view is vaulted ceilings is one of the best decisions we made.  A cut roof hung from a ridge beam and all insulation following the line of the rafters was so simple to detail and get well insulated and air tight compared to conventional trusses and a cold loft.  I would do the same again without question.

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

A cut roof hung from a ridge beam and all insulation following the line of the rafters was so simple to detail and get well insulated and air tight compared to conventional trusses and a cold loft.  I would do the same again without question.

I've done the same and would also repeat it. Much more interesting than a horizontal ceiling.

Love my vaulted ceiling.

With MVhR the house doesn't get much dust or cobwebs.

I have a couple of beams cutting across the space, I dust the top of them maybe once a year.

It seems a slightly extravagant use of space but it was only going to be a loft otherwise, so why not put it on show.

• Like 1