What is the maintenance required

Dear god, my head is deeved. We have to make a decision on this roof. Budget is pushing us towards corrugated steel but its 2 story and scaffolders hold you hostage. The thought of paying out for it for regular inspections leaves me sick. We have a 1st floor terrace but could anyone safely get on it to inspect it from there? One side will be accessible by a cherry picker the other side won't. I guess standing seam won't be as needing tlc? Jeez but the price of it.

Edited by CalvinHobbes

I rented an aluminium platform tower for a week and they've not been back to pick it up yet 3 weeks later!! It's off hire but I looked into buying one for indoor / outdoor work. Can be moved and dismantled by one person although easier with two. Would buying one be an investment and you could always sell later to recoup some money? 

• Like 1

Get a £250 drone that has position hold and cameras that feed back to your phone. You’re on your own property - flick it over the roof 2/3 times a year and just record the video if you’re worried. 

• Like 1

Get the roofing company to supply the access, that way they will Be keen to get it up and down, it’s installed the way they like it and there are less people involved to mess it up

that’s what i did, and took advantage to repaint fascia’s and soffits while their scaffold was up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

guess standing seam won't be as needing tlc? Jeez but the

Well.....the coating is equally vulnerable if damaged.

No screws, so the screws won't leak, but they shouldn't anyway. Buy the best screws and the epdm washer twists itself down with the screw and completely seals the hole and protects the metal.

I reckon my business  did 250,000m2 of roof. = 2.5M screws. Any issues were of untightened or missing screws and apparent at first heavy rainfall....moral use an experienced cladder offering a year's maintenance.

What slope?

• Like 1