Wall starter kit

Hi all, 

Firstly, apologies if this is a stupid/naive question. 

I've been looking at 'wall starter' kits to try and understand how to use them on a single skin wall that we need to rebuild. 

I have seen a YouTube video published by Toolstation for a BPC kit. There is a section that states "The vertical joint between the existing wall and the outer leaf of the new wall must be weathersealed either with pre-compressed sealing strip or polymer based pointing". 

I've searched Google and can find some admixes (SBR, etc) that I'm guessing it's required to create 'polymer based pointing'.

So my questions are, what is 'polymer based pointing'? Is it just a normal mortar mix with a polymer additive, and scan anyone recommend any products that they've used successfully?

Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, Tim H said:

Firstly, apologies if this is a stupid/naive question. 

No such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking and making (wrong) assumptions 😎, I guess they are talking about silicone type polymer (using a gun like decorates caulk etc) but more informed people will be along in a mo.

Thank you both. 

Joe90 - Thank you for the kind reply.

I did initially wonder whether they meant to use an external frame sealer or similar, but I wasn't sure. 

Discoeye - I've Googled Tremco tape and it looks like that could be a good option. Thank you. 

20 hours ago, Tim H said:

So my questions are, what is 'polymer based pointing

Polymer cement mortar

Edit

Polymer cement mortars (PCM) are the materials which are made by partially replacing the cement hydrate binders of conventional cement mortar with polymers. The polymeric admixtures include latexes or emulsions, redispersible polymer powders, water-soluble polymers, liquid thermoset resins and monomers.[16] Although they increase cost of mortars when used as an additive, they enhance properties. Polymer mortar has low permeability that may be detrimental to moisture accumulation when used to repair a traditional brick, block or stone wall. It is mainly designed for repairing concrete structures. The use of recovered plastics in mortars is being researched and is gaining ground.[17] Depolymerizing PET to use as a polymeric binder to enhance mortars is actively being studied.[18][19][20]

• Confused 1