What to use to repair concrete?

amilio

Hey everyone,

My house has an exposed concrete skirting section against the floor on the outside (I've attached a couple of screenshots). Some of the concrete in this area has chipped off recently and I'd like to repair it.

What kind of material should I buy for this? I've seen stuff like Bostik Cementone Repair and Pointing Mortar Kit or Bostik Cementone General Purpose Mortar, would any of these work?

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20230529_210747029.jpg

PXL_20230529_210755267-min.jpg

More than likely it’s not chipped off but is falling off due to damp as the paving is up against the wall. Where is the damp proof course in that wall.? Level with the bottom of the render ..?

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

More than likely it’s not chipped off but is falling off due to damp as the paving is up against the wall. Where is the damp proof course in that wall.? Level with the bottom of the render ..?

+1. Patching is putting off addressing what is causing the issue in the first place.

I made a quick diagram of how the wall is build and where damp proof membranes are located. The concrete is not damp (despite the quality of the images) and the paving was placed just a couple of weeks ago. This said, what material would you recommend to patch this concrete? I've seen stuff like Bostik Cementone Repair and Pointing Mortar Kit or Bostik Cementone General Purpose Mortar, would any of these work?

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 16.15.25.png

I don't understand the problem. Can you make it clearer what concerns you?

I'm guessing these are coin sized bits flaking off the face , but shouldn't be guessing.

What age is the house?

In passing, I hope the new paving slopes away from the wall.

51 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I don't understand the problem. Can you make it clearer what concerns you?

I'm guessing these are coin sized bits flaking off the face , but shouldn't be guessing.

What age is the house?

In passing, I hope the new paving slopes away from the wall.

I don't have a problem, I'm looking for advice on what material to use to cover those holes in the concrete. Should I use any concrete material I find or is there a specific solution that would work well to fix outdoor concrete?

On local stores I've found predominantly two products: Bostik Cementone Repair and Pointing Mortar Kit or Bostik Cementone General Purpose Mortar, but I'm not sure if any of them are any good for the task.

51 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The product will depend on the type and size (especially depth) of hole, and I'm not sure of that from the pictures.

What I see are 1 inch wide, half inch deep chips/holes where the concrete meets the wall.

It looks like sand and cement. Problem is caused by the usual culprit, water. 

I would just mix up a bucket at 4:1 and patch it in. Sponge it after to match the finish.

When it's well dried in a good dark coloured exterior paint should be enough to protect it from water running down the wall from above. 

If this isn't enough carefully cut the paving back 100mm with a diamond disc and dig it out 100mm deep. Then back fill with chippings to match the paving creating a mini french drain that will prevent any rain splashes and mini pools of water by the base of the wall. 

I think sand and cement patchs and a good coat of weathershield will be fine however. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Agreed. Fancy epoxy stuff will look worse unless it is all overpainted.

Even sand  and cement will probably stand out as the concrete face is high in cement. Use that if you must with a primer and addition of unibond.

If there a specific brand I should be looking for or would any cement work? I'd like something that is reliable from a quality standpoint.

I would use a sika liquid mix it with cement to make a slurry and rub it in the entire concrete area with a skinhead to get a  consistent finish

its what the civics guys used to used for repairing concrete reservoirs and giving them a nice finish once the shutters were struck