Where can I use this EPS?

AD1

Hi,

I've managed to get my hands on around 10-15 sheets of 150mm EPS, Stylite EPS70. 

I was planning on using PIR for my ground floor insulation and roof so not sure how to use it up. 

Could I insulate floors in some rooms with EPS in the cooler rooms, ie Utility and the the rest in PIR? is there any problems with doing this? I understand the heat loss will be more through the EPS. 

Or, in-between floors as a sound insulation? 

Any suggestions welcomed .. 

AD

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

EPS 70 doesn't have the same compressive strength as PIR, so be careful if you hope to use it under a ground-bearing slab.

Nothing wrong with EPS 70 under a ground bearing slab.

According to Jablite who I phoned on this subject EPS70 is fine for standard domestic loads under a screed. They said if it was for a gym equipment or heavier loads then EPS100 would be needed. For under our screed I decided to go for EPS100, not because I’m putting a gym on top but just for peace of mind in case loads increase (although I wonder what the block and beam load is specified at?) and the price increase was minimal and still half the price of PIR!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Also, I read others on here had issues with EPS70 and UFH staples not staying in and destroying the EPS. I had no such issues with EPS100. 

Just remember that there are short and long staples ;) Short staples are usually specified for PIR, but won't do jack in EPS. Specify long staples, and bang a load in, particularly on the bends and returns.

The trick is to use you body weight to hold the pie down when turning / bending, and do not step off until the bend is formed and you're back on the straight. Expecting one clip to hold as you continue to bend the pipe will never work out.

Use the longer clips for everything is my advice.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

EPS 70 doesn't have the same compressive strength as PIR, so be careful if you hope to use it under a ground-bearing slab.

PIR is typically 140 IIRC so quite a difference, but PIR at 140 is way overkill for a raft etc.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just remember that there are short and long staples ;) Short staples are usually specified for PIR, but won't do jack in EPS. Specify long staples, and bang a load in, particularly on the bends and returns.

The trick is to use you body weight to hold the pipe down when turning / bending, and do not step off until the bend is formed and you're back on the straight. Expecting one clip to hold as you continue to bend the pipe will never work out.

Use the longer clips for everything is my advice.

You described my work perfectly!! 😊

Edited by Nickfromwales
typo
  • Like 1