Pipe space against wall?

Vijay

When installing your drainage pipework through the floors, what space have you left between the vertical pipes and the internal wall (that would be built afterwards)? I assume you'd want to leave some gap for fixings but have it as close to the wall as possible so you can box around it?

Mine I put so the edge of a straight coupler was just touching the wall tight into the corner. My builder advised me this was too close. I ignored him. The theory is once I have battened my walls for the service void and then plasterboarded, the boxing in at the corner for the stack pipe will be a lot less bulky as in effect the back of the stack pipe is set 30mm in from the face of the wall already.

6 minutes ago, Vijay said:

is it important to leave a gap between the pipe and any surrounding studwork/plasterboard to stop sound getting through? Do you insulate around the pipe?

In my case it's om the corner of the utility room. The only place sound from it can go is outside or into the garage. But good point if it's adjacent to another room.