Fixing kitchen wall units to thick dot and dab on masonry

Having fitted several hundred kitchens for my sins, i always cut out the plasterboard and glue and screw ply back to the wall. 18mm usually brings me roughly flush with the plasterboard. You can seal around these if you need to re airtightness etc. Any thing else is a bit of a bodge. Ok if they are tall units, sitting on the floor, but not wall cabs. You start loading those cabs with a load of tins..... Over time your cabs will move down the wall. The first inch of your screw regardless how long is unsupported. Not a good idea.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

18mm usually brings me roughly flush with the plasterboard. You can seal around these if you need to re airtightness etc. Any thing else is a bit of a bodge. Ok if they are tall units, sitting on the floor, but not wall cabs. You start loading those cabs with a load of tins..... Over time your cabs will move down the wall. The first inch of your screw regardless how long is unsupported. Not a good idea.

Sounds like a good idea to support the screws, my dot and dab is pretty think so it may be a couple of layers of ply will be needed to get it pretty flush to the plasterboard lining.

once you have the ply on the wall, how do you fix the cabinet, screw into the ply, or go all the way though the ply to the masonry with the hammer type fixings?

29 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Having fitted several hundred kitchens for my sins, i always cut out the plasterboard and glue and screw ply back to the wall. 18mm usually brings me roughly flush with the plasterboard. You can seal around these if you need to re airtightness etc. Any thing else is a bit of a bodge. Ok if they are tall units, sitting on the floor, but not wall cabs. You start loading those cabs with a load of tins..... Over time your cabs will move down the wall. The first inch of your screw regardless how long is unsupported. Not a good idea.

Would it not be easier to fix the ply to the wall prior to plastering ? saves chopping off the bonding and the mess ?

• 4 months later...