Conduit Box Extension Ring/Circular

Thorfun

evening. question for the sparkies out there. we have some conduit boxes in the floor insulation for ground mounted uprights. I need to find some extensions for them to bring them above the level of the screed. then I can put the spotlights in them after the flooring is done.

I found these on Screwfix but they're metal. any issue with that? our conduit boxes are plastic angle boxes.

I would need at least 3 of these to take it up 75mm. only problem with metal is that it's not as easy to cut level with the screed. 

I did see these at CEF but at £2.25 each I would need at least 6 (2 x lights and 3 extenders each) and so £13.50 seems a little excessive for what is simply a bit of plastic! which lead to another option where I was thinking of sticking some 50mm waste pipe as a barrier against the screed and that will give me a 50mm hole to put the lights in. and if I find lights that are a smaller diameter then I can put narrower pipe in to reduce the hole size.

I hope the above makes sense! I can pop to the house and take photos if not that might explain it better.

5 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I would need at least 3 of these to take it up 75mm. only problem with metal is that it's not as easy to cut level with the screed. 

Reverse the problem. Tell your screeder to screed level with the top of the box extenders.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Reverse the problem. Tell your screeder to screed level with the top of the box extenders.

Sadly our screed level is dictated by our finished floor level so this won’t work. 

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Give me your PayPal details, I’ll give you the money. Ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

It’s funny as when I saw the price of £2.25 I thought, f**k that’s expensive. But when I wrote the total of £13.50 I did think “am I just being a real tight arse here?” 😂. I guess the answer is yes then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

It’s funny as when I saw the price of £2.25 I thought, f**k that’s expensive. But when I wrote the total of £13.50 I did think “am I just being a real tight arse here?” 😂. I guess the answer is yes then. 

Times must be hard on @Thorfun ‘s build . No Chablis for you tonight !

24 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

@Thorfun

Have you bought those bit yet, Capt.Tight-arse?

ordered. to be delivered tomorrow. they're still stupidly expensive. thinking maybe I should've got the 3D-printer out of storage instead but too much to do and not enough time.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

ordered. to be delivered tomorrow. they're still stupidly expensive. thinking maybe I should've got the 3D-printer out of storage instead but too much to do and not enough time.

Did you ask if it was freepost?

Just watch a few episodes of Grand Designs and you'll feel much happier. They all go six-figures over budget and take out mortgages in their grand-kids' names as that's how long it'll take to cover their ludicrous spending habits.

And then watch them "boo-hoo" about it for 30 mins. My favourite was the cleaner who said smugly at the beginning "I don't have a budget". 30 mins later he's trying to work out where to borrow another £1/4m from. What a p*nis. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Did you ask if it was freepost?

Just watch a few episodes of Grand Designs and you'll feel much happier. They all go six-figures over budget and take out mortgages in their grand-kids' names as that's how long it'll take to cover their ludicrous spending habits.

And then watch them "boo-hoo" about it for 30 mins. My favourite was the cleaner who said smugly at the beginning "I don't have a budget". 30 mins later he's trying to work out where to borrow another £1/4m from. What a p*nis. 

But I don’t have a budget nor a timescale .

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

But I don’t have a budget nor a timescale .

Your monies all tied up in a "unique" hybrid battery system. :D 

Edited by Nickfromwales
Cant spell "your" properly. My teachers were spot on.
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Bet  you wished you just set the conduit up  to the floor level and then back down and saved that £25 

All in the planning 

But then the screed wouldn’t cover the conduit and I’d still need a ‘hole’ deep enough to house the spotlights. Pretty sure the extensions were the only and best solution! Just would’ve preferred not to have to pay so much. Or that the wife hadn’t packed away the 3d printer.