Inverter confusion

Pocster

OK @pocster is too lazy find his prior post asking exact same question, so I did it for you.

The schematic was eventually beaten out of him on page 6, here: 

7FCA819D-A63D-4F1D-B68B-4757CFF21743.jpeg

The answer is your PV inverter is an SE3680H so can output 3.68kW  MAXIMUM (sum across internal use, AC coupled battery charging and grid export). So if the AC coupled Tesla powerwall is charging at 3.68kW that will consume all of your PV generation and none will go to grid or other AC loads.

As you were.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, joth said:

OK @pocster is too lazy find his prior post asking exact same question, so I did it for you.

The answer is your PV inverter is an SE3680H so can output 3.68kW  MAXIMUM (sum across internal use, AC coupled battery charging and grid export). So if the AC coupled Tesla powerwall is charging at 3.68kW that will consume all of your PV generation and none will go to grid or other AC loads.

As you were.

Max DC 5.7kW also, so if the inverter is pulling around 3.9kW DC side before losses for AC that leaves only 1.8kW headroom for charging the SE.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, joth said:

As you were.

Oops ! I did forget . I am a lazy twat 

Edited by pocster
Am on beach so allowed to be lazy twat

1 minute ago, S2D2 said:

Max DC 5.7kW also, so if the inverter is pulling around 3.9kW DC side before losses for AC that leaves only 1.8kW headroom for charging the SE.

But shouldn’t SE charge before Tesla - as it’s dc ??

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

But shouldn’t SE charge before Tesla - as it’s dc ??

Depends how it is configured, but the default is maximize self use which would be yes. Up to 5kW PV generation, above that you hit the charge limit of the energy bank (it will only charge or discharge at 5kW) so your 7kW array could have 2kW spare that would go via the inverter and off to AC and hence to the PW, if it needs it.

Also, LOL at your PV installer getting kW vs kWh wrong on both the batteries. They're a match for you made in heaven. There really is no hope.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, joth said:

Depends how it is configured, but the default is maximize self use which would be yes. Up to 5kW PV generation, above that you hit the charge limit of the energy bank (it will only charge or discharge at 5kW) so your 7kW array could have 2kW spare that would go via the inverter and off to AC and hence to the PW, if it needs it.

Also, LOL at your PV installer getting kW vs kWh wrong on both the batteries. They're a match for you made in heaven. There really is no hope.

SE battery never set for “ self consumption “ because it can in certain circumstances steal from PowerWall ( that was the main problem in that original thread you linked too ) .

So ! I do wonder why the installer didn’t put a larger ( thru put ) inverter in ? . I’m guessing cost wise ( for me ! ) not a great deal of difference?

But as you say - as long as SE isn’t fully charged it can suck on 5k and potentially 2k to pw/home/grid 

Edited by pocster
Installer in a lazy twat also

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

SE battery never set for “ self consumption “ because it can in certain circumstances steal from PowerWall ( that was the main problem in that original thread you linked too ) .

So ! I do wonder why the installer didn’t put a larger ( thru put ) inverter in ? . I’m guessing cost wise ( for me ! ) not a great deal of difference?

But as you say - as long as SE isn’t fully charged it can suck on 5k and potentially 2k to pw/home/grid 

If the SE is pulling 5kW you will only have 0.7kW left to go to AC due to the DC limit.

It was probably a fast track G99 or something, which was limited to 2x3.68kW devices.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, S2D2 said:

If the SE is pulling 5kW you will only have 0.7kW left to go to AC due to the DC limit.

It was probably a fast track G99 or something, which was limited to 2x3.68kW devices.

Is it worth changing the inverter ?

I guess the real question is how often ( if ever ) will I get 5.7kw of pv ( as that’s the limit as you suggest ) .

My pv array is split across 2 roofs ; so the array limit of 7kw would only ever be theoretical .

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

Is it worth changing the inverter ?

I guess the real question is how often ( if ever ) will I get 5.7kw of pv ( as that’s the limit as you suggest ) .

My pv array is split across 2 roofs ; so the array limit of 7kw would only ever be theoretical .

Yes it depends how long you spend generating more than 5.7kW PV. The answer is probably no but depends on the install. PVGIS hourly data gives an inaccurate estimate of this or you can review the data in your online account for the inverter to see if you've had much clipping.

Hmmm

Dno says my max export is 8.6kw

I take that as 3.6 pv + 5 pw 

Yet I’ve never got PW to export over 3.7 ! . I know the gateway effectively has a limiter ) - wonder if that’s set incorrectly ??

C1BDA171-284F-4D37-B0FC-C6C801952031.png

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Because you originally had 14 x 300W panels, i.e. 4.2kWp so a 3.68kW inverter was a fairly sensible choice and avoided G99 admin, but when you added the 7x 390W panels this started to look a worse idea. In the thread I linked before I asked you why such an undersized inverter and you said you were too tight to replace it. A cookie for whoever can be arsed to dig out the citation - I can't 🤣

Looking through photos it seems the SE is also setup for export limitation, which presumably is in the case PW is exporting (would it ever be?) it shuts off SE to keep the sum within $whatever limit it was set to.

10 minutes ago, joth said:

Because you originally had 14 x 300W panels, i.e. 4.2kWp so a 3.68kW inverter was a fairly sensible choice and avoided G99 admin, but when you added the 7x 390W panels this started to look a worse idea. In the thread I linked before I asked you why such an undersized inverter and you said you were too tight to replace it. A cookie for whoever can be arsed to dig out the citation - I can't 🤣

Looking through photos it seems the SE is also setup for export limitation, which presumably is in the case PW is exporting (would it ever be?) it shuts off SE to keep the sum within $whatever limit it was set to.

Original install was pw and 4kw pv and *whatever* inverter 

Additions by different company added SE battery , additional PV and changed the inverter .

I can’t be held accountable for what I said in the past . Lifetime of anything I post being valid is around 3 minutes ( like the film memento - though having said that I don’t really remember it all ) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pocster said:

Exactly . I assumed I was being dumb ( yeah yeah ) . 
In my scenario as it stands if I didn’t have the SE battery but have a 7kw pv array I’d only ever get 3.66 generated .

Where’s smarty bullocks @Nickfromwales when you need him !

In work you pen15!!!

This is simple. The export is ascertained by the use of CT clamps, so, if you're using all the juice up then the exported power will be low to zero. The second you stop self-consuming, the export will start to run away to the grid. Beyond (x) value of runaway and the CT clamps will provoke export limitation.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why didn't you just add the second T PW?I can't remember what convoluted reason you gave previously :D 

Because DNO won’t allow me gob shite ; try and keep up else off to the blue parrot 

Edited by pocster

18 minutes ago, pocster said:

Because DNO won’t allow me gob shite ; try and keep up else off to the blue parrot 

It's called the Blue Oyster now.

Oh yea, I forgot those stupid T PW's are only A/C coupled. He must be chuffed that he has such a blinded army of faithful followers ( aka disciples lol ).

I'll be hybrid with oodles of juice to do what I want with, whenever I choose to.

You'll be able to use all of what you generate, up to the point where the batteries are both full as an egg, and up to your base load, and only then will the rest go to the grid.

"Chill, Winston".

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

It's called the Blue Oyster now.

Oh yea, I forgot those stupid T PW's are only A/C coupled. He must be chuffed that he has such a blinded army of faithful followers ( aka disciples lol ).

I'll be hybrid with oodles of juice to do what I want with, whenever I choose to.

You'll be able to use all of what you generate, up to the point where the batteries are both full as an egg, and up to your base load, and only then will the rest go to the grid.

"Chill, Winston".

Pw far better than other batteries imho .

I is cool Winston 

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Pw far better than other batteries imho .

Yes, disciple boy, it's the dogs bollocks.........🙄 You go slip into your white, full-length gown and go read from the owners manual. Apparently, if you read it backwards it, it'll tell you which car to buy. :D 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes, disciple boy, it's the dogs bollocks.........🙄 You go slip into your white, full-length gown and go read from the owners manual. Apparently, if you read it backwards it, it'll tell you which car to buy. :D 

Oi ! Your phone android yeah ?

You left handed yeah ?

You veggie yeah ?

You Welsh yeah ?

F me !

1 hour ago, Rob99 said:

Steady, there's more of us than you might think.........🤣😂

Not down here.  There are thousands of you.

1. Williams - 5,796

While famous examples of people with the Williams surname lie elsewhere from Cornwall, including sports stars such as Serena and Venus Williams or Formula One icon Frank Williams and the eponymous Williams F1 team, Williams is actually Cornwall’s most common surname with 5,796 people with it as a surname.

2. Smith - 4,908

No sign of the Poldark’s so far, although it’s further proof that the name Smith gets everywhere. Although Mr and Mrs Smith might not be as common as Mr and Mrs Williams on this side of the Tamar, there’s still a lot of them - 4,908 of them, in fact.

3. Thomas - 3,795

At number three in the list is the surname Thomas. A fair way behind the Williams and Jones, it’s still a very popular surname with 3,795 Thomas’ across our fair lands.

4. Jones - 3,568

Some people see Wales as Cornwall’s kindred spirit, not least when it comes to history and identity. It seems it goes as far as meeting the Jones’ too. 3Maybe at some point, some of them escaped over the Severn for their lunchtime pasty, although there’s a lot less Jones here than in Wales, where it’s by far the most popular surname with 170,633 Jones’.

21 hours ago, pocster said:

Hmmm

Dno says my max export is 8.6kw

I take that as 3.6 pv + 5 pw 

Yet I’ve never got PW to export over 3.7 ! . I know the gateway effectively has a limiter ) - wonder if that’s set incorrectly ??

AFAIK PW2 can be set to 0kw, 3.68kw(for G98 compliance) or 5kw export. Your SE3680 is limited to 3.68kw as it is without any other export limitation. If youre only see max 3.68kw from your PW then that seems set wrong. Maybe needs upping to 5kw if youve got DNO approval for that.

Not sure that photo of your schematic from your other thread is correct as the Gateway doesnt seem in the right place??

• Like 1