Please don't shout at me. I have tried reading up, but just don't get it.

43 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

Agree no reason not to adopt masonry constrcution

👍

43 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

All buildings shrink and move as they dry out, settle in

Mine has had remarkably little shrinkage, after 4 years virtually no snagging required, a recent survey said exactly that so I wonder If brick/block/masonry shrinks that much at all relative to other methods. 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

@joe90.Did you wet plaster, or dot and dab.

I insisted concrete rendering then wet plaster (old school I know), can’t stand dot and dab or hollow sounding walls that is difficult to fix things too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gus Potter said:

with a TF that moves about a bit more.

There are modern adhesives that will easily last 50 years, and allow for movement.

Then you also have the tyvek type wraps that help.

It is all down to detail though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

There are modern adhesives that will easily last 50 years, and allow for movement.

Hope all well at your end Steamy.

.. but how do you know that they don't loose their elasticity over time for example.

There was a few posts a while back on how PIR /  EPS will maintain it's integrity.. in terms of load bearing capacity and elasticity.

Looking ahead.. in SE Terms.. what happens if the PIR / EPS under all the rafts say we have been designing start to fail in 30 - 40  years time?

Well if we are still alive we will be very worried that we have a major safety issue. Now what legacy are we leaving?

But if it all starts to compress evenly then then it may just be a case of re levelling the ground and sorting the drains.

I have most faith in EPS. It is 98% air so suffers almost no thermal drift unlike other insulants.

When clearing out some old abandoned sheds I found some EPS that had been outside, wet and tangled in briars and scrub for at least 30 years. It was in perfect condition.  In a thermally and UV stable setting I think it would last forever.   In fact it has crossed my mind as an environmental concern. 

47 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

but how do you know that they don't loose their elasticity over time for example.

Rapid aging testing.  A lot of these chemistries have been around for decades.  I was making tooling for Parker Knoll furniture 35 years ago, some of those cushions are still good, and fire proof as well.  We also made the dashboard tooling for a few cars, not many fell apart, though the Landrover ones did, and their seats had a plasticiser that caused cancer, of your nut.

I did my apprenticeship at a company that made destructive testing machines.

30 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Rapid aging testing

You raise a lot of interesting and important concepts here. I'm thinking ICF, rafts and a bit of chemistry. 

Will mull this over as it needs a cogent response and a worthy response.. will take me a few days and sleeping on it.