External corner in plasterboard

Tony K

Evening. 

I've got my internal partition walls frames up, and will begin to add plasterboard soon. 

Will I be able to form an external corner with tapered edge boards, or should either I cut the boards to create a full edge, or buy boards without a taper for the purpose of forming the corner? 

Cheers! 

It doesn’t really matter You will probably have a combination of both 

dont forget to run your board through green Then push the stud with the arrow up tight and fasten 

DAF0F0EA-A6B0-41A6-9883-09B66EBFD83F.jpeg

Edited by nod

55 minutes ago, nod said:

dont forget to run your board through green Then push the stud with the arrow up tight and fasten 

This is what I did, more out of luck than judgement. What's the benefit, acoustic? 

2 hours ago, nod said:

@nodare you using a stud to form the top of the external corner there, rather than carrying your top, horizontal plasterboard all the way across to meet your plasterboard on the far right? 

1 hour ago, Tony K said:

@nodare you using a stud to form the top of the external corner there, rather than carrying your top, horizontal plasterboard all the way across to meet your plasterboard on the far right? 

image.jpg

53 minutes ago, nod said:

image.jpg

Got it, ta. 

But when you put board across the studs in the centre of the photo to form an external corner, will you be happy using tapered edge boards?

Some people say it makes it harder to fit the corner bead if you've used tapered boards. 

3 hours ago, Tony K said:

Got it, ta. 

But when you put board across the studs in the centre of the photo to form an external corner, will you be happy using tapered edge boards?

Some people say it makes it harder to fit the corner bead if you've used tapered boards. 

It doesn't make it harder, just there is not much meat left between the coat on the thicker ( main ) part of the board vs where the edge of the skim bead lives.

5 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Is this to scale? 😂

Seriously, would a plasterer be happy to form a flush corner with the set up you show? 

The alternative is square edge boards then the bead goes on, then when you fit your skirting you find the wall kicks out for the last few inches to the corner.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

It doesn't make it harder, just there is not much meat left between the coat on the thicker ( main ) part of the board vs where the edge of the skim bead lives.

It makes no difference having tapered edges I can’t remember the last time I used square edged boards 

More than ten years ago You don’t see them on sites 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1