Bank holiday surprise

This morning I noticed something a bit... off about the rear garden boundary wall.

inside-view.thumb.jpg.6954226150a4a3764fed335cadbe534b.jpg

inside-closeup.thumb.jpg.bcb48d2540f7bc0a325730862d6d35d6.jpg

it's a low brick wall with these high pillars (3x2x18 bricks) at regular intervals, with the spaces between filled with wooden panels. This one is no longer connected to the course below it; pushing it is like worrying a wobbly tooth. Chatting to the neighbours, they remember a van backing into it recently, which is probably the cause.

I've poked the insurance, hoping they had a builder on retainer who could come make it safe, at least, over the bank holiday. Waiting for a callback, but not holding out a great deal of hope at this point. I've slapped a warning sign and some hazard tape on it to cover liability, at least, but thinking about how I could make it safe without killing myself.

I could get a rope around it and pull from a distance, but there's decking in front of it inside the garden, and a public road outside, so it doesn't seem like a good option.

Start at the top and take it down brick by brick with a mortar rake or something?

Once it is down, I've been thinking about putting a gate in this wall anyway (there's no access from the back at the moment) so it'd be an opportunity to make it so. Would that need to be run past the local authority first?

@PeterWHah, yeah, the only saving grace about that cabling is that it terminates in a 13A plug in the garage which is very much never plugged in. Came with the house like that.

Accidents happen, but it must have been a very solid bump to move it like that. No ill will though, the insurance system prioritises liability and it'll be someone worked to the bone as an "independent" courier, most likely.

For the brick-by-brick approach, my angle grinder is sadly out of commission at the moment , so I was looking at alternatives. Apparently you can get diamond chains for chainsaws; and hand saws that cut through concrete. All very exciting, but maybe it's better to just let it take out the decking?

Edited by Nick Thomas

As I say, it's like a wobbly tooth. To be more precise, mild pressure can get the whole pillar to pivot back and forth around that brick on the right hand side, the one that's still vaguely in line with the wall. No idea what's going on in the crack, but it's not stable. If it were, I'd be nibbling away at it from the top down, for sure.

Insurers want to have a claim assessor look at it... on Wednesday, which adds another complication. Pretty uncomfortable leaving it like this for that long.

Edited by Nick Thomas

Hammer and bolster and work from the ‘safe’ side.

Downside will be that for insurance purposes it goes on your claims as they can’t recover it - they will only pay to rebuild it, and even then with excess it will probably be net cost to you anyway. 

could always take a video of it rocking and photos from all sides and drop it over the weekend for safety reasons and show the assessor the images / video. 

• 3 weeks later...

They ended up doing it brick by brick with a bolster, just... gingerly. Left me with a nice pile of bricks.

before.thumb.jpg.0c289a43cc6bbc24cdf057aaae53516e.jpg

I cleaned them off by hand, and today started building back up. Got 39 laid with the mortar that was in stock (I'm lazy and didn't fancy mixing my own, so went for those 20kg sand/cement dry mix bags):

after.thumb.jpg.444a5bdfca7678f1f27751113adbb003.jpg

4 more bags of mortar coming Tuesday, I should be able to get it finished then. It's not perfect, but I'm feeling quite pleased with it.

The insurers offered a cash settlement of £550, minus £200 excess so £350. I saved ~£100 by re-using the old bricks, the mortar is coming to about £120, so I should have some cash left over afterwards. Maybe a celebratory BBQ once I'm done.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...