New build design - thoughts welcome!

Etc’s latest idea, or something similar, gives you the multifunctionality for your circumstances.  Upstairs study used for small child bedroom until older then they can go downstairs if necessary.    You can use upstairs spare room as nursery / bedroom / guest bedroom /study / snug / dressing room as you see fit as as your lives change.   Everything you need as a minimum is downstairs should this be a home for life and as you get older.  

100% agree that having the living space to rear on this plot is the way forward, and your own design has wasted space especially hallway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ETC said:

Alternative plan to your posted layout.

It's great to see alternatives! Playing with the layout too - and making more use of the south east corner area as well. Tried to ensure bathroom is near the bedrooms as well. I'm rubbish at perspective drawing, so please excuse the effort, but had a go with the two front areas extending, and introducing an initial 'step up' behind this, so the roof line is able to accommodate the head height easier.

Edit: just to note on the floor plan, there should be no wall between kitchen and living area and the playroom area can be screened or something simple. Not sure whether there's a better alternative to the downstairs bedroom and bathroom mini hallways too.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 14.37.06.png

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 14.37.16.png

IMG_0952.jpg

Edited by AppleDown

@AppleDown  let’s put it this way, your effort is significantly better than your architects and you are barking up the right tree.   The bedroom wing is a very neat idea being downstairs and gives it separation from the living space.   You and your kid will appreciate this when older.  Appreciate its not a final design but maybes just give the bedrooms even just another 20/30cm so you’ve got maybes 1-1.2m from bottom of bed to wall.  Minimum cost but will square them off and will be a lovely size.

Give yourself more storage in the hallway, you won’t regret it.  I like the window through to see back garden, but likewise that could be a great area for a big storage cupboard.

the little room off livingroom perfect playroom then future study.  

swapping dining table with secondary seating in living would be an obvious call.  

upstairs your long storage room will be invaluable 

I genuinely think you’ve got the makings of a great layout there. Lots of multi functionality and nices spaces.  When your old and infirm the upstairs can be used by your visiting grandkids.

• Like 1

Unapologetically red. The big red shed. 

I think your plan needs a bit of tweaking to simplify it but I think you’re going in the right direction with the bedrooms facing east and all family accommodation overlooking the back garden.

On 01/05/2023 at 17:20, ETC said:

Had a bit of fun with your own layout this afternoon. Put a different set of clothes on it. Haven’t read your comments above but will do once I post this picture-take with a big pinch of salt please-letting my imagination run away with me.

image.jpg

That is so uncannily similar to our build it's scary!!

Floating corner, massive high single pitch... Black and wood cladding (though we used white render and the wood cladding for features) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andehh said:

That is so uncannily similar to our build it's scary!!

Floating corner, massive high single pitch... Black and wood cladding (though we used white render and the wood cladding for features) 

Would love to see some pics if you mind sharing?

I love the idea of a house fully clad in red clay tiles - it would fit in perfectly with the rest of the neighbourhood.

If you’re going down this road you need to make a big statement and make the cheese wedge stand out proud and not be watered down by bits and bibs tacked on. Try and simplify and rationalise the footprint of your plan so that the wedge is clear and legible.

• Like 1