Rethinking the mindset for mass retrofit - a provocative idea

I think this last round of posts just proves how much vested interest there is in the status quo.

Good like trying to break that.

Now, i must get back to pondering my heating challenges. Current favourite looks like a pair of oil boilers. The clock is ticking.

There is a government consultation still open which is open to contributions from individuals until 8th June if anyone wants a channel to put forward ideas. ”We're seeking views on the design of a market-based mechanism to support the development of the market in low-carbon electric heat pumps.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/clean-heat-market-mechanism

4 hours ago, DougMLancs said:

There is a government consultation still open which is open to contributions from individuals until 8th June if anyone wants a channel to put forward ideas. ”We're seeking views on the design of a market-based mechanism to support the development of the market in low-carbon electric heat pumps.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/clean-heat-market-mechanism

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Seems to be an elaborate stick to beat boiler manufacturers with, as if that will improve the supply side or bring down costs.

Obviously still have immense faith in MCS:

<Where work fails to meet these standards, consumers must have confidence that work will promptly be put right. The requirement set out in this consultation that in order to generate credits under the CHMM heat
pump installations must be notified via an appropriate certification scheme (i.e. the
Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) or an equivalent scheme) will help to ensure that
this is the case.
>

Talks about encouraging UK heat pump manufacture but then 10 years ago the DTI were wanting a UK solar panel industry to spring into existence(!).

Nothing I could see about how to increase the skilled workforce, or relaxing planning constraints. (See Matthew Parris in today's Times)

All in all a narrow, uninspriring and mechanistic approach to the issue IMHO.

Edited by sharpener

2 hours ago, sharpener said:

Nothing I could see about how to increase the skilled workforce, or relaxing planning constraints. (See Matthew Parris in today's Times)

All in all a narrow, uninspriring and mechanistic approach to the issue IMHO.

I imagine that part of the policy design brief was that it must cost nothing, so that's hardly surprising, sadly.

There are at least two organisations that appear to be focussed on 'proper' education, heat geek and ultimate renewables, doubtless there are others that I haven't yet come across. I haven't heard anything from these organisations about planning reform or challenging the mcs position.  Does anyone here know if they (or any other organisation with a potential interest) is doing so?

Edited by JamesPa

13 hours ago, sharpener said:

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Seems to be an elaborate stick to beat boiler manufacturers with, as if that will improve the supply side or bring down costs.

Obviously still have immense faith in MCS:

<Where work fails to meet these standards, consumers must have confidence that work will promptly be put right. The requirement set out in this consultation that in order to generate credits under the CHMM heat
pump installations must be notified via an appropriate certification scheme (i.e. the
Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) or an equivalent scheme) will help to ensure that
this is the case.
>

Talks about encouraging UK heat pump manufacture but then 10 years ago the DTI were wanting a UK solar panel industry to spring into existence(!).

I read that link, was dismayed, and even got as far as trying to respond but was even more dismayed.

This is all about more red tape, more rules, more paperwork for installers etc.  This will do NOTHING to speed up the rate of heat pump installs.  Typical government mentality, regulate everything, even though we have a PM who says he is in favour of the opposite.

I gave up the will after the first few questions trying to respond, it is only looking for answers to approve their plans or make minor alterations to them.

What I wanted to say is the whole plan is a crock of steaming excrement, it just burdens the market with yet more paperwork and expenses and ensures is is just the big companies who are set up to milk the system and collect the grant money that will operate in this type of market.  What is needed is less and simpler regulation and to encourage the small plumbing end electrical businesses, even sole traders, to be involved in heat pump installation.  That is the only way you will get the thousands of electricians and plumbers we already have on board and installing heat pumps. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I read that link, was dismayed, and even got as far as trying to respond but was even more dismayed.

This is all about more red tape, more rules, more paperwork for installers etc.  This will do NOTHING to speed up the rate of heat pump installs.  Typical government mentality, regulate everything, even though we have a PM who says he is in favour of the opposite.

I gave up the will after the first few questions trying to respond, it is only looking for answers to approve their plans or make minor alterations to them.

What I wanted to say is the whole plan is a crock of steaming excrement, it just burdens the market with yet more paperwork and expenses and ensures is is just the big companies who are set up to milk the system and collect the grant money that will operate in this type of market.  What is needed is less and simpler regulation and to encourage the small plumbing end electrical businesses, even sole traders, to be involved in heat pump installation.  That is the only way you will get the thousands of electricians and plumbers we already have on board and installing heat pumps. 

Meanwhile, in mainland Europe...

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2023/05/02/eu-releases-strategy-for-heat-pump-rollout/

• 3 weeks later...