Plaster over this

JohnBishop

Nope. Chop it out, replace with plasterboard, and do it properly ;) Plaster and wood = no Bueno.

The likelihood is, that it is not very well secured so will have a bit of movement, and plastering over it will end badly. If you're tiling why not cut this out, clip the cable back, and apply a bonding coat or rough it back in with some sand and cement 'compo'?

Needs to go. 👉

• Like 1

PVA in a bathroom is shite. Any hint of moisture and it'll re-wet making anything else on top, like tiles lift and come off.

How far is the face of the wood from the face of the wall?

Depending on depth, I'd be tempted to tack on some expanded metal mesh to the timber. Treat the wood with a killer/preserver too. Then render level and tank the lot. What's the plan in terms of finish for the walls and floor here?

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Oh and don't paint plastered walls before tiling. 

Yes, I am going to remove the paint. Someone suggested to scrape it with a steam cleaner.

I think I put the tiles there as well. I haven't decided what tiles but perhaps some bigger and thicker ones as I want to dampen the noise as well.

Edited by JohnBishop

4 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

aren't concrete blocks resting on it? I mean this is a thin wall but there is some concrete whatever that is.

Ah. That picture shows more depth / detail. 
That looks like a sole plate. What is the depth of it? 
Prob say screw a plasterboard to it and leave it there if the walls been built up off it. Sooo many bloody daft / weird things done by our predecessors when building, it’s hard to keep track.

Plasterboard, ( MR ), and plenty of screws. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ah. That picture shows more depth / detail. 
That looks like a sole plate. What is the depth of it? 
Prob say screw a plasterboard to it and leave it there if the walls been built up off it. Sooo many bloody daft / weird things done by our predecessors when building, it’s hard to keep track.

Plasterboard, ( MR ), and plenty of screws. 

The wood is about 1.5" thick then there is some gap behind it about 1.5cm and the plasterboard of the other room.

1 hour ago, JohnBishop said:

The wood is about 1.5" thick then there is some gap behind it about 1.5cm and the plasterboard of the other room.

How far back is the front face of the wood, from the face of the wall above where the skirting was?

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How far back is the front face of the wood, from the face of the wall above where the skirting was?

the thickness of the plaster so about 10-12mm tops

On another note I have this OSB on top of the wood decking. The OSB is thin about 5mm.
How should I play it? Put some fast flexible set tile glue then backerboard and another layer of glue then tiles or that flexible membrane (tile matting?) between the glue layers so it does not crack so easily.

Edited by JohnBishop