Loft Hatch / Access Panel

Hi

I am looking for 2 loft hatches and struggling to find out what the Scottish regs are for them as can not get in touch with building inspector.  Can anyone advise I can find the English regs online but not sure if Scottish ones are different.

Also where is the best place to buy them from as I may need custom sizes as I have one opening 555 wide and the other 390mm wide but the lonth can be standard

thanks

Scottish and English regs are not the same.

What are you trying to find out specifically?

What and where to buy depends on the spec you are after. I got mine from Screwfix, insulated, airtight, and with ladder, but my plant room is behind it I spec'ed it that way to keep noise levels down. If you have a ladder in the hatch, you need to ensure you have a hand rail at the top and ideally (in my opinion) you should have some form of fall protection around the opening. A simple rail.

On building sign off, the building control guy made no comment at all about our loft hatch.

25 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Scottish and English regs are not the same.

What are you trying to find out specifically?

What and where to buy depends on the spec you are after. I got mine from Screwfix, insulated, airtight, and with ladder, but my plant room is behind it I spec'ed it that way to keep noise levels down. If you have a ladder in the hatch, you need to ensure you have a hand rail at the top and ideally (in my opinion) you should have some form of fall protection around the opening. A simple rail.

On building sign off, the building control guy made no comment at all about our loft hatch.

Hi

I just want one that is insulated and air tight do not need a laser as no need to access the space unless need to inspect the roof for some reason.  Also do not think there is the space to put in a ladder.  Also the sizes are odd so one would definitely not take a ladder.  

So I just need to understand what the Scottish regs are then I can spec the hatch.

• 9 months later...
On 12/04/2023 at 20:57, TonyT said:

Look up domestic technical standards

thats the Scottish building regs

Just to bring this up again.

I have looked througth the above regs and I cant see anywhere that it says that access panels or loft hatches are compulsory.

Happy to accept that I've missed it ,so if someone could point me to the actual reg I'd be grateful.

I can find stuff about the requirements if you do have one.

I'd rather not, it's a trussed roof with virtually no room to move about and I have been fairly thorough in wrapping the house with tyvek airguard membrane to minimise ventillation losses.

There is no requirement fo access for maintenance, only some 90mm MVHR ducting which is under 400mm of insulation.

If I ever feel the need to poke my head up there I'll cut a hole and patch it again.

Are they compulsory, and under which reg in Scotland?

Thanks