Older DG pane units.

zoothorn

On 10/04/2023 at 17:44, Big Jimbo said:

Defo putty. Common, back in the old days.

@craig ok thanks chaps. How the heck putty kept the panes in, prior to setting.. god only knows.

Anyway. So presumably, if this material is what obselete now(?).. I don't use some 'modern putty' instead then?

54 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

How the heck putty kept the panes in, prior to setting..

Glazing Pins !

Push Points - Glazing Pins. Push Points install without the use of special tools, making them a favourite of glaziers and DIY'ers. Just push them carefully into place with a putty knife, chisel or slotted screwdriver. Use Push Points for wood sash glazing, green houses, picture frames, mirror frames, and more.
Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Glazing Pins !

Push Points - Glazing Pins. Push Points install without the use of special tools, making them a favourite of glaziers and DIY'ers. Just push them carefully into place with a putty knife, chisel or slotted screwdriver. Use Push Points for wood sash glazing, green houses, picture frames, mirror frames, and more.

Aha all is becoming clearer. Thanks for this info J90.

So I guess pins would be redundant now though, should I be redoing these panes.. or they'd get in the way of whatever beading I decide on-?

Or are they still relevant for this job?

Just now, joe90 said:

No only used for putty till it goes off!

I used similar when I silconed my units in. Not sure it was really necessary though.

Better than having to buy another unit though.

The one thing I did wrong one time was not checking that an opening frame was square. It still snags a little. I just don't open that window much.

• Haha 1

On 12/04/2023 at 08:52, SteamyTea said:

I used similar when I silconed my units in. Not sure it was really necessary though.

Better than having to buy another unit though.

The one thing I did wrong one time was not checking that an opening frame was square. It still snags a little. I just don't open that window much.

Hi chaps, sorry just jumping back onto this topic.

I'm getting an quote for all my folks' (ten shot) 4-8-4 units. Sizing up the job cost.

So digging out these old puttied-in units seems easy, if I find pins in the putty holding them in place that is.

Then assuming I can tidy the frame up ok: without the snap-in beading like upvc frames, forgive me but how are the new units held in place, if not with pins again? And then what trim/ beading type situation? I'm a bit lost sorry.

Thanks, Zoot

Here's the first one to do:

5DA2E88E-C47E-4967-B8A1-5A3253757610.jpeg