Bedroom over garage

Al T

Hi everyone. 

I'm after some advice. I've just had an extension built that has an unheated garage with a bedroom above it. I know this can cause the bedroom to be cold. What is the best way to insulate the garage ceiling? I was going to use 200mm of the rock wool. Do i need to leave an air gap between the top of the insulation and the bedroom floor?

TIA

Al 

if you contact Rockwool (or whatever manufacturer's insulation you choose to use) they can perform a condensation analysis for you. this should give you peace of mind that you're not making any mistakes!

• Thanks 1

No air gap needed. 

Full fill rockwool batts would be good. 

What kind of flooring do you have upstairs?  It's important to seal any holes in this as drafts will negate the effect of any insulation. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nod said:

200 mil of wool and two layers of 15 mil fire line plasterboard is standard across all new builds 

Just to add for those that don't know, with staggered joints between the two layers of fireline.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bemak said:

ensure as well that there is adequate fire stopping between the bedroom and garage. I think it needs to be 1 hour from memory. 

Yes I'll be plasterboarding the garage ceiling with the fireline plasterboard 

4 hours ago, nod said:

200 mil of wool and two layers of 15 mil fire line plasterboard is standard across all new builds 

I thought it was either 2 layers of normal plasterboard or 1 layer of fireline stuff